Skip to content

Editing BG:EE baludur.ini file

Evening all, so searched the forums for the "how to" on enabling CLUAConsole in BG:EE, and was led to adding the line "'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1'," in the the file. I have done so and saved the file. (then out of curiosity i closed and opened to double check that i had actually done it right a bit of OCD i guess, all was still well) I then launched the game in Windows XP compatibility mode as my system administrator (because the game instantly crashes if I try to run it any other way, welcome to the world of improvements ushered in with Windows 8...) when I started a new game I was unable to bring up the command bar to enter the cheats to remove the fog of war etc... I closed the game and opened back up my .ini file only to find that my prior additions had been removed. Anyone run into a similar problem? Anyone have advice or know of a prior discussion that covers this topic?

Comments

• FlauschigFlauschig Member Posts: 84
    Did 'Game Options', 'Debug Mode', '1', & 'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1',
    Console opens with CTRL + M
    CLUAConsole:EnableCheatKeys()

CLUAConsole:ExploreArea() [worked]
    CTRL Teleporting [worked]
    CTRL-6/7 [worked]

CLUAConsole:AddGold("100") [nothing]
    CLUAConsole:CreateItem("dagg01",1) or CLUAConsole:CreateItem("dagg01") [nothing]
  • TieDye_AdeptTieDye_Adept Member Posts: 9
    Thanks, I think I may have a slightly different problem, mine seems to be that when I change the baldur.ini file and then save it, and then when I launch the game (in the ridiculously complicated way described above but also includes switching to "8bit color") the game somehow re-writes the baldur.ini file back to its original unmodified version and I cannot access the CLUAConsole. But I do appreciate you taking the time to reply/give advice!
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    @TieDye_Adept After you edit the baldur.ini file, try right clicking and setting the properties to 'read-only'. That might keep it from being overwritten. Probably not, but it's worth a shot.
    Haha! I just went and tried it, still no luck, I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that every time I launch the game Windows asks for permission for the game to modify "something" Initially I thought this was just me running a program as the administrator (and it may very well be that) but in case it wasn't, I tried to tell it "no" but then it wont launch... hmm
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    Weird... that never happened to me.
  • PavolPavol Member Posts: 13
    Hi, it's weird, changes in baldur.ini and opening CLUA console are working for me.
    If the game overwrites your changes, you may try to make that ini file read only.
    Cheers

• BubbleboyBubbleboy Member Posts: 68
    edited November 2012
    Are you running the game with the BeamDog's launcher? maybe that's re-updating your ini file?
    Try running baldur.exe directly from the \Data folder
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I may know a trick here - Windows 7 and probably Windows 8 too changes your .ini file to a notepad file when you try to save. I think you have to go down to little strip at the bottom of the "save as" window, and manually change the file suffix back to .ini

Then, reopen the file to see if your changes are still there, to double check, before you try to go start the game.
    @bubbleboy I do launch the game from the data file, but only because that the only way I've found to run the game in compatibility mode.

@belgarathmth I will try that, I noticed when attempting to change it to "read-only" that the file type was listed as a ".ini" but i will add the suffix and let you know, thanks!
  • hadrialhadrial Member Posts: 3
    I can't even find the ini file? can somebody help? I downloaded it to the my documents/games without the beamdog client.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Flauschig said:

CLUAConsole:AddGold("100") [nothing]
    CLUAConsole:CreateItem("dagg01",1) or CLUAConsole:CreateItem("dagg01") [nothing]

These work. You have to highlight / target a character. If a character is selected and these still don't work, hover your cursor over the intended target as you ENTER the command.
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    hadrial said:

I can't even find the ini file? can somebody help? I downloaded it to the my documents/games without the beamdog client.

I used the stand alone installer as well. I installed to C:Games

The INI file for me was located in documents. If your on windows 7 hit the start button and just above pictures and music there should be something you can click on that says documents. In your documents for there should be a folder that says Baldurs Gate - Enhanced Edition. The ini file is in that folder.

@hadrial if begolf00's solution doesn't work I always run a search for "baldur.ini" in your folder explorer's search bar
    @belgarathmth so I tried the "baldur to baldur.ini" change, then I launched the game and after a few mins I quit. when I opened up my documents folder, I saw that the game had added a new "baldur" file and the one I had named "baldur.ini" was right under it unchanged. I guess this suggests that each time the game is launched, it just drops a fresh copy of the file in and replaces whatever was in its place. I had such high hopes too! lol
    So I stumbled on a solution, unfortunately I failed the scientific method and changed several things at once so I have no idea what the solution actually was...

first off, my baldur.ini file was surprisingly empty, I never had a section of game options or program options. I think this was because I never went into the game and edited my preferences (like for auto-pausing, feedback options, group infravision, rest until healed, etc...) after I made my first changes, those items populated my baldur.ini file under the appropriate game or program option.

second I went into the properties of my baldur.ini file, initially to give the "read-only" change one more try. this time I went to the "security" tab of the properties window, and changed my system's permissions on that file to deny my system the ability to edit the file.

which ever of those it was did the trick because I can now ctrl + j my way around when my party lags behind my speedy monk-man! good luck all thanks for the suggestions
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It was probably the second bit. Though I never had to do that myself.