Skip to content

What class to play for beginners?

Any suggestions would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Comments

• AlexMAlexM Member Posts: 110
    Fighter is a great class for beginners.
  • xrogaanxrogaan Member Posts: 3
    Any brainless class I guess :)
  • wednesdaywednesday Member Posts: 61
    I think I'd play Fighter, simply because it gives you a lot of survivability early on without limiting you to a specific alignment like other classes, I.e paladin. Since you have access to a party with many different classes you can experiment with other skillsets as the game progresses without having a vulnerable main character. (if your PC dies its game over, but if party members die you can find ways to resurrect them.)
  • darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    I always play fighter in the beginning. Why? BUTT KICKING FOR GOODNESS! But seriously...I think the casting classes are probably easier once you've learned how to play the game a bit (and also the number crunching parts, ya know).

So yeah...stick to playing a fighter or maybe a barbarian. Might be nice to look up some character builds on the interwebz too at some point to kind of learn some pointers on how to make awesome characters. But first thing is first...learn how to pause in combat!

You don't really need to in order to fight, but honestly, especially when you start experimenting with the magic using characters that join your party...IT IS ESSENTIAL. It gives you time to think, look around and see what does what...and plan out awesome strategies.

Your first lesson...how to kill the freakin black bear after you get out of the intro part of the game.
  • tpowltpowl Member Posts: 35
    I guess Fighter seems to be the common ground for beginners? I guess I'll try fighter class out first thanks guys.
  • waardeniuswaardenius Member Posts: 58
    Don't let anyone fool you into believing that fighters aren't any good, or worse, boring. They're great.

It's really not that fun to have a squishy main character that you can't get to perform.
  • GuarocuyaGuarocuya Member Posts: 26
    Fighters and Rangers are similar in strategies... Rangers tend to lean toward dualwielding and archery vs Fighters who prefer Sword and Shield or Two-Handed weapons.

Druid and Clerics share simular spells with the later getting healing stuff and the former getting shapechanging abilities. Bother are supportive and necessary if you plan on successfully fighting later in games.

Mage and Bard share Arcane spellcasting... Mage being pure spellcasting and the bard being supportive role.

Thief are what they are.... Sneaking, lockpicking, trap disarming, etc... And potential backstabbing along the lines.

Paladins are a cross of fighters and clerics. Strict alignment prevents personal choices when playing. Potentially one of the harder classes to master, but easy to play. Imagine yourself being a knight that can cast spells, thus you have a paladin.

But if I had to recommend only one it'd be the fighter; easy to play and get the hang of. The Beserker kit was and still is my favorite.

PS

The following link has tons of good information regarding each one in a Wiki-style: http://www.playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Classes_and_Kits
  • RalelenRalelen Member Posts: 2
    I always play a duelwielding ranger, always. I cant get out of it.
  • RavelRavel Member Posts: 140
    I'd say cleric, personally. You have good armor and can heal.