Skip to content

Do Rings of Elemental Resistance stack?

If you wear two rings of Elemental Resistance, do they stack? Because it appears that my DR is only absorbing 15 points of acid, cold, electrical, and fire damage.

Comments

• MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    No
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    They do not, no. If you have multiple sources of damage/elemental resistance, only the highest value will be used. I am, however, unsure as to which source takes precedence first if you have elemental resistance AND elemental immunity.
  • RananRanan Member Posts: 34
    The only time it stacks is if you have resistance from both feats and items, but items do not stack with themselves
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    @Zaxares I would imagine that immunity would take precedence over resistance if being hit by the type of energy you are both immune and resistant to. Resistance means the damage you take from that energy is reduced by a certain amount. Immunity means you take no damage from that type of energy. It functions the same way Spell Immunity and Spell Resistance relate to each other. Order of precedence would be Spell Immunity > Spell Resistance > Save. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    @Zaxares I would imagine that immunity would take precedence over resistance if being hit by the type of energy you are both immune and resistant to. Resistance means the damage you take from that energy is reduced by a certain amount. Immunity means you take no damage from that type of energy. It functions the same way Spell Immunity and Spell Resistance relate to each other. Order of precedence would be Spell Immunity > Spell Resistance > Save. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.

I know, but Elemental Immunity tends to be a fairly rare event for players, usually being given by custom magic items. Likewise, some monsters have elemental immunity, but only to a certain percentage, so my earlier post was musing on what would happen in circumstances where, say, you might have a creature that was 50% immune to fire, and then wears an Amulet of Fire Resistance (20/fire). If they were then hit by a Maximised Fireball (60 fire damage), what would be the final damage total it would take? Would it be 10 (immunity goes first, reduces damage to 30, -20 from the amulet = 10), or 20 (resistance goes first, reduces damage to 40, halved by immunity = 20)?
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    @Zaxares That is a very good question. I think one would have to create a test module to determine the end result of that scenario. Or, ask a developer. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.