Skip to content

PS:T:EE - change colors of texts to something less in-your-face?

BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
Is there a way to change the colors of texts in PS:T:EE?

I'm trying to get accustomed to the game to FINALLY play it, and the typography is really hurting my eyes ...
i was able change the font already, but the harsh, pure colouring with bright yellows (like item descriptions), greens (game saved messages, ...) and reds (getting hits) is so "non-fantasy" style to me that i'd like to change it to something more toned down colors.

Thanks for any help ... i've never done UI-modding by myself, but i'm generally able to do such thinks with some pointing the way (like telling me the keywords and syntax ...)

Comments

• fearlessfearless Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2019
    There appears to be some font color definitions in the BGEE.lua file

od1fhrboiogi.png

I imagine if you extract (using NearInfinity or other tool) the BGEE.lua file into the override folder (create override folder if it doesn't exist in the same folder that Torment.exe is located) and modify the values it may work.

The colors appear to be RGBA (defined in visual order with four x two letter hex character pairs) as Alpha, Blue, Green and Red. All alpha values are all set to FF. So you only need to define a new color using the blue, green, red components. I use Colors app to help with that (http://www.den4b.com/products/colors)

So taking this one as an example:
    fontcolors['C'] = 'FFC8F0C8' -- Minty update color

You can paste the C8F0C8 part into the hex textbox in the colors app

4n99stihyoik.png

Then change it whatever suits, and then copy the value in the hex box and edit the color value entry in the BGEE.lua file, replacing the red, blue, green hex values and leaving the alpha part as FF . For example B8C5B8

n8c8ry361pie.png
    fontcolors['C'] = 'FFB8C5B8' -- Revised greyish-minty update color

Save the BGEE.lua file and start PST:EE to see if the changes made are showing up in game.

• BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    thanks a lot - pointing me to near infinity and BGEE.lua was the right hint for me ...
    I can handle the hex values (though the ABGR byte order looks funky to me, used to RGBA from screen/web design).

I'll try this tomorrow and see if I can come up with something less hash than it looks now.
    edited September 2019
    thanks, it worked (for UI text, dialog, etc.) ... much happier now, taking away that intense yellow for item descriptions etc. changed a lot for me. i also changed red and green to less intense variations.

One thing left - nothing dramatic but nice to have if possible:
    there is status text displayed on the map (people talking is intense turquois, getting hit is intense red, healing is intense green). this does not seem to be affected by these values. Any other idea how to influence these, or is it hardcoded?
  • fearlessfearless Member Posts: 40
    I guess those other ones are hardcoded. Might be possible to track them down in memory somehow using a debugger or cheatengine if the RGBA values for those colors are known - can always try to take a screenshot of the game using print key and paste into an image program (paint, ps etc) then use the colors app (or eye/dropper tool) to see what the exact color values are, to possibly search for.
    okay, too much effort for little improvement ...

what's nice: i've finally, like after 20 attempts, found fun in PS:T, now exploring and trying to find out who i am ... :smile: