Skip to content

BGEE Steam modding, dialog.tlk not found in chitin.key

Wizer13Wizer13 Member Posts: 65
Hi, I've been working on a campaign for two years now on the Baldur's gates enhanced edition. I figured that if I wanted to install in the slot of the tutorial, i had to install the mod in BGEE instead of BG2EE.

Alas, when I tried the Steam version in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, I got this error while trying to COPY_EXISTING dialog.tlk:

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
Resource [dialog.tlk] not found in KEY file:
[./chitin.key]
Stopping installation because of error.

I figure that the dialog.tlk is located somewhere else, like C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\lang\en_US\, but even if I link the file with this coding:

COPY ~lang\en_US\dialog.tlk~ ~override~
APPEND_FILE ~FactionWar/dialog.txt~

It will still mention the same error.

Maybe it would be easier if I just buy the GOG version, but paying 30$ again for a game I already have, notwithstanding that many players will have the Steam version instead, I wonder how I should find the dialog.tlk file or code the right path in my Setup.tp2, if it's not located in the chitin.key.

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• Wizer13Wizer13 Member Posts: 65
    Well, seems by just copying the dialog.tlk from the en_US near the chitin.key works just fine to go around that issue.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    @Wizer13 It's difficult to understand wat exactly you trying to do but nerveless, what you did doesn't look as a solution. Please start from the beginning and tell us what you want to do in the first place.
    Okay, here's the gist. I've begun a campaign set in Planescape using BG2EE, and intent to replace the tutorial slot with the mod. I've been using BG2EE version from GOG.com since it's easier to mod than the Steam version.
    Then, after some research, I discovered that the tutorial was removed entirely from the BG2EE, so I opted to mod BGEE. Since I have only the Steam version, I encountered an issue with the chitin.key with Weidu, stating it didnt find the file dialog.tlk, and it was needed to append my new lines of dialog.
    Well, I just copied the dialog.tlk from the lang\en_US\ doc near the chitin.key and I am able to test the mod just fine. So, basically I resolved the issue in a way, unless it provokes irredeemable damages to the game?
    Well, a guy from Gibberlings3 suggested I use the Modmerge add-on, which should resolve many of the issues I might encounter. It helps work things out with Steam versions.
    @Wizer13 Now it's much more clear.
    Uninstall Modmerge, forget about it and install this: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/71305/mod-dlc-merger-merge-steam-gog-sod-dlc-or-custom-dlcs-with-the-main-game - you need to reinstall this mod as first one every time when toy restore the game from backup/verify game files via Steam.
    Wizer13 wrote: »
    Since I have only the Steam version, I encountered an issue with the chitin.key with Weidu, stating it didnt find the file dialog.tlk, and it was needed to append my new lines of dialog.
    WeiDU doesn't have any problems with locating dialog.tlk if it's placed at the correct directory - the one which has chitin.key file. Which version of WeiDU are you using?
    edited October 2019
    The latest version, it updates when there's a new one. Version 20400 i think i have unless it has upgraded since and didnt upgraded it.
    Wizer13 wrote: »
    The latest version, it updates when there's a new one. Version 20400 i think i have unless it has upgraded since and didnt upgraded it.

Did you mean 24600 from here https://github.com/WeiDUorg/weidu/releases ?
    Well seems I didnt get the latest. Ill upgrade and try that mod you suggested and see what happens. Thx for your time @ALIEN ! ?