Skip to content

Multiplayer crashes the game every time.

EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
How very disapointing. I was expecting an 'enhanced' version not a broken one.

Comments

• ThundarianThundarian Member Posts: 4
    We only had this issue if the person we were trying to connect to didn't have ports forwarded properly (tested it both ways for the sake of science)
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    The disclaimer screen at the beginning of the multiplayer options said either have the relevant UDP port open OR forwarded. I have the port open, but I know nothing of this forwarding business. Any help in 'forwarding' the port would be appreciated, though I am skeptical as having it 'open' didn't work.
  • Jaxx86Jaxx86 Member Posts: 26
    I am having the same issue as Edwin. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • ArcadorArcador Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2012
    We also crashed when attempted to get into multiplayer.

I believe it's related to the forwarding. We had similar issue with Icewind Dale games.

It's easy to fix though - install on all multiplay computers "networking" software.

Hamachi worked for us - https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/ (it's free)

When, using this software, you make a connection between your PC's, it will give you virtual IP.
    One of the user creates virtual network and the other users join that network.

Then, after connected to the same virtual network - Use that virtual IP. It worked like charm with us.
    I tried Hamachi, Game Ranger and Tunngle...to no avail
  • ArcadorArcador Member Posts: 22
    Hmm, not good.

Check firewalls?
  • NarcissistNarcissist Member Posts: 65
    Edwin said:

The disclaimer screen at the beginning of the multiplayer options said either have the relevant UDP port open OR forwarded. I have the port open, but I know nothing of this forwarding business. Any help in 'forwarding' the port would be appreciated, though I am skeptical as having it 'open' didn't work.

Before I can help you I need to know what kind of router you use, both the brand name and the model number.
  • loganultimaloganultima Member Posts: 109
    regardless of ports and routers this shouldn't happen. this is clearly an issue as myself and several more people received the crash upon connect. What we can do is wait for a fix.
    Ye...I rechecked the firewalll settings and found the trick. Although my ports were open and BGEE had full tcp and udp port permission, somewhere in the scramble the PUBLIC option got deselected and it only had port privileges on the private network side. The combination of Hamachi AND ensuring that BGEE had public firewall privileges finally worked.

It was tricky too, because after I set them manually to PUBLIC again the next time I ran BGEE, the firewall warning popped up. I clicked the obvious yes choice, but doing so actually overrode the public option I had just enabled....but you were right, Hamachi is still a necessary evil as it was long before the game was 'enhanced'.
  • NarcissistNarcissist Member Posts: 65
    edited November 2012
    Not everyone is affected by your issues. I personally had a really long multiplayer session with 4 other people, the main problem we had at the start? Ports weren't forwarded properly.

EDIT: But hey at least Edwin got his / her issues fixed, which is the important thing.
    The port shouldn't have to be 'forwarded' many people don't know how to properly set up a router for port forwarding (I do and that didn't work for me either), but the instruction at the beginning of the multiplayer session say you can either forward the port OR simply have it open.

The real issue here is we were promised simple, cross-platform connectivity as part of the 'enhanced' experience. here is the ditrect quote used to sell the enhanced multiplayer experience:

"Improved Multiplayer
    Online multiplayer has been upgraded to include matchmaking functionality, and games can be played across multiple platforms. Adventurers on iPad, Mac, PC and Android Tablets can all play Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition together."

Complicated router configs and virtual IP services are not part of the program in this day and age. You don't have to jump through those kinds of hoops to play modern games anymore and I imagine at some future update you won't have to on this. At least that is my hope.
  • GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97
    edited November 2012
    @edwin

You miss quoted them.

""Improved Multiplayer
    Online multiplayer has been upgraded to include matchmaking functionality, and games can be played across multiple platforms. Adventurers on iPad, Mac, PC and Android Tablets can all play Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition together...once we set up the servers through Beamdog. "
    Post edited by GoForTheEyesBoo on

@edwin

You miss quoted them.

""Improved Multiplayer
    Online multiplayer has been upgraded to include matchmaking functionality, and games can be played across multiple platforms. Adventurers on iPad, Mac, PC and Android Tablets can all play Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition together...once we set up the servers through Beamdog. "

Just one link in from hompage....
    http://baldursgate.com/enhancements.en.html
    says nothing about even more waiting for promised features....I assumed that was what the pushback of original release date was for.
  • AtansAtans Member Posts: 10
    I'm rather disappointed in this new multiplayer, it does not seem to have improved in the slightest. I can't even connect with my buddy, our games keep crashing.
    Ye, i was hoping they would have this up to modern standards of connectivity. The message in the multiplayer options say they are working on it.

Until then get a virtual IP program for you and your friends. I suggest Hamachi. use the IP's from it and make sure you give BGEE public and private access in firewall settings. That is how my party got it to work.
  • McHardMcHard Member Posts: 19
    This sucks!!