Skip to content

Full Plate Armor from a Doppelganger? - Durlag's Tower / Labyrinth #2

Was going into the northern teleport room on the 2nd level of the Labyrinth under the tower (where the rooms lock). I knew Doppelgangers would pop up behind me so I mined the area with Skull Traps and a Glyph of Warding. When they popped in one exploded and one was critically injured (a magic missile finished him off). Was surprised that the one my traps got, was wearing Full Plate. I'm not sure if I killed him so fast, he popped different loot - or if this is random. When I reloaded and killed him normal (he still didn't change to a Doppelganger for some reason) this time he popped regular Plate Mail.

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    The G. dopps can change shape into the various dwarf family members that lived there. I believe it is the Durlag form that carries the full plate. He also starts off as partially injured when in that form. The others either wear plate mail, chain mail or robes. It just depends on what form they are in when they actually die. They will sometimes change shape several times in a row (including the regular G. dopp form), which can throw off targeting them with wands or spells as well.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    plus this is how i get more suit of full plate main in bg1

with wands of paralyzation even the doppleganger in durlag form can fail the save, and when he does, you owst him for his cool 3000 XP and sweetski suit of full plate mail

because if you dont get your full plates this way, then there are only 3 suits in the vanilla game, with EE adding in another one; if you dont mind power gaming and killing someone you shouldn't
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    edited October 2019
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    plus this is how i get more suit of full plate main in bg1

with wands of paralyzation even the doppleganger in durlag form can fail the save, and when he does, you owst him for his cool 3000 XP and sweetski suit of full plate mail

because if you dont get your full plates this way, then there are only 3 suits in the vanilla game, with EE adding in another one; if you dont mind power gaming and killing someone you shouldn't

Hey that works... I have 3 people that can use full plate in my party (since I dual-class Shar-Teel to a Fighter / Thief and she uses Drizzt's Chain... My two mages obviously go another route).

I usually get my full plates from the Firewine Ruins Ghosts - Is that the PGaming solution you are talking about? lol. Arrows of Detonation for the win.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i wasnt aware those ghost were still killable, i thought beamdog changed it up so they couldn't be killed anymore, but if so then nicely done

for me, when i start in level 2 of durlag's basement, that beginning puzzle will summon a durlag dopplaganger 3 times, so i wand of paralyzation his bunions and grab x3 full plate mails right there, and then sometimes when i luck out if the torture chamber room has one or if one shows up from being interrupted by resting i can sometimes sneak another suit
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    i wasnt aware those ghost were still killable, i thought beamdog changed it up so they couldn't be killed anymore, but if so then nicely done

for me, when i start in level 2 of durlag's basement, that beginning puzzle will summon a durlag dopplaganger 3 times, so i wand of paralyzation his bunions and grab x3 full plate mails right there, and then sometimes when i luck out if the torture chamber room has one or if one shows up from being interrupted by resting i can sometimes sneak another suit

Still doable, just takes time. Keep the one alive with the worst gear so you can complete the quest.