Skip to content

Geomantic sorcerer: please suggest me some true disadvantages

ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
The geomantic sorcerer kit found here: 

https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/kits/geomantic/

is cool but the penalties are not that great

Disadvantages:
- Has a 15% penalty to experience.
- Strength, Constitution, and Dexterity have a -2 penalty.
- Has a penalty of 1 to casting speed.

Requirements:
- 13 Wisdom, 9 Charisma.
- Must be of any Neutral alignment.

Restrictions:
- Sorcerer Item usage.
- Recognized as a sorcerer.

The disadvantages are cheesy
- xp penalty is irrilevant in the grand scheme of things,
-  the STR, const and DEX are useless for a sorcerer,
- the penalty to casting speed is not that important either because you can offset that easily with so many items

The requirements are also silly...

So, I was wondering: I removed all the disadvantages above and now I would like to add true disadvantages to someone that is actually linked to nature (geomantic sorcerer has druidic spells too).
So, what should I add as a disadvantage? I'm not that good on balancing, so I'm actually curious for flavourful stuff if possible.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    the thing that makes the sorcerer shine is their amount of spells per day, they are the only arcane class within the xp cap that will actually hit 6 slots per level ( in fact they do it by level 20! )

so perhaps giving them 1 less spell slot per day would be a good start, this is actually the same disadvantage that the dragon disciple gets and they get a whole whack of other cool stuff, but yet, that 1 spell slot per day, is a pretty big deal, so it really makes you think what one would you rather be

plus, having a minimum ability score can kind of be advantageous as well to make a "disadvantage" for example; a minimum CHA of 16 would be a good idea, because usually CHA is a dump stat, and making it so it has to be high, makes it very difficult to "optimize" your sorcerer - for me, since INT,WIS ( except for wish ) and CHA are all useless for a sorcerer so i always max out STR,DEX and CON instead because its relatively easy, but if they have a minimum of CHA 16, and hell why not make wisdom 16 as well, it will be much harder to give them AC with naturally high DEX and HP with naturally high CON, so ironically giving those minimums can actually be used as a "sneaky" disadvantage

so thats what i would do; 1 less spell per day, and a minimum of 16 CHA - and/or WIS, up to you -
    and to me that seems pretty fair

the shapeshifts aren't all that game changing, and while druid spells are pretty decent, mage spells of equivalent level in my opinion are still better, but because you can use mage AND druid spells that just gives you way more coverage than the average sorcerer hence the need for a said disadvantage

plus 2 notes about the spells this class gets;

the level 3 druid spell protection from fire; not needed, the level 3 sorcerer version is better so you can take that off the list ( unless you got rid of the sorcerer version for this class )

the level 4 druid spell protection from electricity; again not needed since sorcerer can get this as a level 5 spell which is also better, so again, you can either take the level 4 version off the list or get rid of the level 5 sorcerer version one
    ArthasDjinnJuliusBorisov
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    Instead of just giving them all the Druid spells plus the standard Sorcerer picks, make them only have the picks, but from both lists to choose from. So 5 spells per level known, but some (or all) can be Druid spells.