Skip to content

100 Physical Resist Possible with Fighter Druid?

billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
Can a Fighter Druid cast Armor of Faith and then cast Earth Elemental Transformation HLA and then use Hardiness HLA to get over 100 physical resistance?
Post edited by billbisco on

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Almost any character can get over 100% physical resistance by using the rat form from the cloak of the sewers to get 90% and top up with other items / spells / HLAs / abilities. Note though that having physical resistance over 100% won't heal you against that damage type (unlike elemental resistance where you can do that).

I don't think fire elementals have any physical resistance by the way. Were you thinking of earth elemental form - which is supposed to have 50% resistance, though I have a feeling that's still bugged?
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovThacoBellgorgonzola
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    Yes I meant Earth Elemental transformation, thank you. I was curious if that HLA ability stacks with armor of faith and hardiness
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    If you wanna be a near indestructible tank - for a long time - then fighter/cleric might be a better choice.

Defender of Easthaven, Armor of Faith and Hardiness combined will make you sit at 85% physical resist.. along with a slew of other super powerful buffs.. and spells like blade barrier.
    And no need for shapeshifting.

Compared to a fighter/mage you'll never reach the same heights in terms of peak power, but i find mage buffs like protection from X weapons, mantle etc, to be far too annoying with their 4 round durations.

Mages have stoneskin and a bunch of short duration (though very powerful) protective buffs.

Druids have ironskins and many similar spells to clerics, but not blade barrier (got globe hla though) and no Defender of Easthaven.

Clerics have easily accessible 85% physical resist and very long lasting effects, but no complete protections like druid and mage got.

To answer your question about Earth Elemental transformation, i think it'll be a bit wonky.
    Afaik any resistances set as such, will be -set- not in addition to previous buffs.
    like the Carsomyr sets your magic resist to 50%, which is annoying as hell because you have to re-equip your other mag-res items after switching weapons etc, to go above 50%.

In the same way i think you'd have to be in earth element shape, then use aof and hardiness. (can druids cast and use HLA whilst transformed? I can't remember, i very very rarely play one)
    JuliusBorisovgorgonzola
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Druid shapeshift forms block divine spellcasting, but warrior abilities should be OK.

As for setting resistances versus providing base resistances... I couldn't tell you. I've got a mod installed that changes those abilities, replacing them with tokens for convenient at-will transformations. The changed versions do stack, so Jaheira can have her 100% physical resistance.
    gorgonzola
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    IIRC, a Dwarven Defender can get up to 100% resist pretty easily.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Khyron wrote: »
    Compared to a fighter/mage you'll never reach the same heights in terms of peak power, but i find mage buffs like protection from X weapons, mantle etc, to be far too annoying with their 4 round durations.
    true, but only to some extent. the FM has more options then using those short lasting spells.
    he has spells that lower his AC quite a bit when stacked and can use sequencers and triggers to apply them again even if he is using an armor, this makes mirror images and stoneskins last a very long time giving him 100% immunity to physical damage as the attack has to pass the to hit roll, to manage to hit the real FM instead of an image and only then a skin is consumed. then he can have a contingency with a stoneskin more or if he has enough levels with PFMW set at 50% health to give him at least other 4 rounds without taking damage.

it is only the player laziness that make him use mantle line spells, while those are more suited to fight against other threats, ie the mind draining attacks of the flyers, the lev draining ones of the vampires or attacks that do other nasty things even if the physical damage is repelled.

and for the regular mage, at the level where a multi has hla, he does not need more then 3 rounds to prevail against every possible not modded enemy, the first to cast IA, then 2 full rounds of KABOOOOOM :)

• billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    IIRC, a Dwarven Defender can get up to 100% resist pretty easily.

They can get 90. 20 DD naturally 20 Defender of Easthaven and 50 Defensive Stance.

This thread is not about Fighter Mages. Could someone please verify if a Fighter Druid can stack elemental transformation Earth , Armor of Faith , and Hardiness for 100 Resist.
    I can tell you that earth elemental transformation is bugged.. like so many other things.

It gives 0 resistances. zilch, nada, nothing. Waste of time.
    i apologize for derailing the thread.
    Also.. the crazy druid xp gap between levels mid-teens, means you need a ridiculous 6.3 million xp on main char just to get the 20% from AoF..
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    It is kind of weird how Bioware did not fix the druid XP table when ToB came out. I understand that they wanted to limit the number of Great Druids, but since ToB had raised the limit to 8M, the huge gaps could only serve as an annoyance.
    actually i used to play the original with the fixed druid xp table, pnp like, thanks to ease of use mod.
    but the fix make the druid get level 7 spells at the same XP the vanilla ones do, the only difference is that from that point he starts to get lev 7 spells one by one, not all in a bunch as in vanilla.
    love it or leave it but this is how the druids work in the FR multiverse.
    a fix that make the druid wait less to get the level and spells is not a proper fix, is plain cheating (imho).
    JuliusBorisov
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    Oh, I was wrong about Bioware needlessly increasing the druid XP requirements. I just looked it up.
    They actually lowered the requirements for the higher levels?
    XP requirements are weird. xp2.gif
    Thanks @gorgonzola
    gorgonzolaJuliusBorisov
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Druid 15s weren’t supposed to exist by lore: 14 was Grand Druid and there was no progression past that. So when SoA was the only Bg2, the designers kept that cap: you would achieve level 15 only after the EXP cap, i.e. never without cheating.

And then ToB was released, and they suddenly had to deal with the problem of no new abilities or level ups for 1.5 million experience, half of the old level cap! They had no books or lore to go off of, so they gave druids levels really quickly after 3m experience to make up for that ludicrous drought.
    gorgonzolaStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    edited November 2019
    I don't think it was so much that levels beyond 14 didn't exist, and more that level 15 had story specific requirements that were largely incompatible with being the Bhaalspawn protagonist.

http://worldofmor.us/rules/PHB/DD01497.htm

I actually feel like Bioware's compromise level 15+ druid implementation is pretty good.. Their level scaling is noticably lagging behind clerics at 3M xp, but their bonus spell slots make their actual casting ability quite intense.

Anyway, I'll check the resists later if I can get some time away from the kids, but I don't remember them getting to a full 100% off-hand. Ironskins basically makes up for the gap though in most practical circumstances.
    gorgonzola
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Rat form from cloak of sewers is easiest mod to do that. I had a barbarian, was so funy a rat barbarian with rage :D basically immune to nearly everything. (Other than imprisonement).
    gorgonzola