Skip to content

Multiplayer Fubar?

ThundarianThundarian Member Posts: 4
So we managed to connect to each other easily enough after fixing the port forwarding, but once in the game (3 of us) we couldn't all see each other. Host could see each person, but the two people who weren't the host were unable to see the other player. Reconnecting for each player didn't seem to fix the issue. So what's up with the multiplayer? We bought the game so we could play it as a group :P

Comments

• EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    At least you could connect. Myself and 2 friends experienced lockup on any attempt to connect.
  • NaterylNateryl Member Posts: 2
    3 of us are having the same issue. Host can see us just fine but the two of us that are not the host cannot see the other person move. Any solutions?
  • ArcadorArcador Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2012
    When it's only 2 of you, does it replicate?

Also, add the game to your firewall, in case you have one. My firewall usually prompts when a game is trying to connect. In BG's case, it didn't.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    I pulled my hair out and finally fingered it. First, you will need Hamachi or some other virtual IP program (I recommend Hamachi as it is small, slick, free and many of us who played the original games remember it well.) It can be found here : https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/

What is just as important is making sure that BGEE has BOTH PRIVATE AND PUBLIC ACCESS CHECKED in your allowed programs dialogue window under firewall settings. Depending on your security settings, even if you select YES when the windows firewall warning pops up, it may only allow private access. So, go back in firewall settings and make sure that BGEE has public access privileges and the TCP/UDP ports are open. There is no need to do complicated port forwarding in the router if you have the firewall ports open and public and are using Hamachi.

It was not necessary for me (running win 7 / 64) to do allot of the other things suggested such as changing comparability mods and explicitly running as admin or moving your install out of the 'snadboxed' program files area. So get all of your party to download Hamachi set your virtual server up and enjoy. Hope this helps
  • MilamberMilamber Member Posts: 1
    We are also having issues with three players. Works fine with 2 players, but with three we a. can't change maps without it crashing, and B. the second and third player can't see each other (character loads but does not move.) 2 and 3 can see the host and the host can see both. It should be noted we are using internet (port forwarding and firewall rules in place.)
  • SolariamSolariam Member Posts: 1
    @Milamber we are having the exact same problems, over local connections. So far, our strategy is to have one of us quit every time we zone into a new area.
  • ClockworkClockwork Member Posts: 6
    @Milamber I'm having that same problem but with 4 people and mine are not patient enough to test these things.
  • TiaxRulesAllTiaxRulesAll Member Posts: 198
    Wow, my buddy is downloading now and I will have my copy soon. We are buying this mainly for the "enhanced" multiplayer. It never worked before so was really hoping to get a co-op game going after these many years...

...So your telling me its still not working. Hamachi? router settings? glitches? crashes? So dissapointed right now.

I wonder if there are people who are having no issues in multiplayer or if it is definately broken for everybody
  • ThundarianThundarian Member Posts: 4
    As far as I can tell it seems to work decently with 2 people if you forward the ports / change firewall settings etc, but anything over 2 seems to be not worth the effort (like the person earlier who said they just leave game / rejoin every map).

My euro friend was playing with another buddy though earlier and was having crashing issues and said they ended up with 2 or 3 copies of their characters in the same game somehow, so who knows how stable everything is even with 2 :P
  • TiaxRulesAllTiaxRulesAll Member Posts: 198
    Well i certainly hope they get this sorted out asap.
  • JamshismJamshism Member Posts: 3
    Having this same issue. Ports forwarded, tried Hamachi and Tunngle, no luck. Hopefully the improved multiplayer patch hits soon. Pretty disappointed that this is occuring, even after the considerable delay.
  • majinsnakemajinsnake Member Posts: 113
    Everyone is having issues. Their is no one person who can get a game more than 3 people running successfully without issues. I guarantee it.

I don't run any firewall (windows is disabled). Ports are forwarded in my router. I was hosting and someone from Australia joined in on me.

Like others said... for 2 people...it plays near successful.
  • WeimdogWeimdog Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,

My group of four had the same crippling problems that I'm reading about here. It seems like for every post claiming that hamachi is the fix (I've used hamachi a ton before with great results) there are two saying it does not fix the issues. There is a unique but tedious method that seems to help us out, although disconnects were common but fairly quick to fix. Our workaround was as follows:

The host has to open or forward UDP 27630!

The host starts the game.
    The second partymember joins. As long as the host can see his name when he joins, he is fine.

The third member must join the game, so that he can see character arbitration. Note that at this point the second player will not be able to see him. Then he has to exit the program completely, re-launch it, and join again. The second player should now be able to see the third player. The players must be able to see eachother's names in character arbitration before the game will run properly. (I realize this makes no sense but it seemed to work last night)

The fourth player has to join character arbitration, then exit the program, then join the game again. The same thing as the third player. On his first join, players 2 and 3 will not see him. On his second join, he will be visible.

This doesn't fix the constant DC'ing in-game, but at least you can play a little.