Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Weapons in BG2

SacerdorSacerdor Member Posts: 11
So i tried to compare the weapon types you can get in the game and at which point you can get what kind of weapon and i'd like to ask you guys a couple of questions regarding your weapon preferences.

Axes
- Ok Damage
- Stonefire and Frostreaver are early avaliable +3 Weapons which can kill trolls and add extra elemental damage
- You are capped at +3 until ToB, problem with Kangaxx
- Axe of the Unyielding +3 has an additional AC Bonus and can be upgraded in ToB to +5

Bastard Swords
- Good Damage
- Lack of Variety
- Only takes off once you are able to clear Watchers Keep Level 1
- Foebane should work against Kangaxx, although it's only +3

Clubs
- Bad Base-Damage
- Not that hard to get Blackblood +3
- I remember Gnasher +2 once hat some issues that made it very strong like that poison dagger in original BG1
- Stuck with +3 Weapons, so no Kangaxx option
- Club of Detonation from Watchers Keep level 5 has nice additional Firedamage, can be upgraded to +5, but can cast fireballs at random on hit

Daggers
- Very Bad Base-Damage
- You can get a +4 weapon in the underdark or Watchers Keep Level 4
- Probably Daggerspec is mostly used for throwing daggers

Flails/Morningstars
- OK/Good Base Damage
- Flail of the Ages +3 is early accessible and a great weapon that kills trolls and has really high damage
- Lacks +4 Options until Lategame or ToB
- Flail of the Ages +5 makes you immune to haste, so you need to switch weapons before, or use GWW instead
- Defender of Easthaven is buyable pretty early and works as a great defensive offhand weapon

Halberds
- Good Base Damage
- Dragons Bane +3 is avaliable in act 2
- Wave +4 is craftable once you got out of the underdark, so just in time
- Ravager +4 can be improved to +6 and has high additional poison damage (saveroll) and 10% chance to kill (no saveroll)

Katanas
- Good Base Damage
- Celestial Fury is a great weapon with a great effect that you can get in act 2, but is heavily guarded
- But it's stuck at +3
- In ToB you can get upgrade Hindo's Doom to +4 for those fights where you need more than +3

Longswords
- Ok Base Damage
- There are so many of them avaliable in the game
- You can get Namarra +2 very early in the game which is a really good weapon for a long time
- You can buy Blade of Roses +3 quite early for enemies that require +3
- You can get Angurvadal +4 in Watcher's Keep Level 4 which can be upgraded to +5 in ToB
- Daystar +2 acts as +4 against evil creatures and doubles damage against undead

Maces
- OK Base-Damage
- Mace of Disruption +1 against Undeads, can be upgraded if you give keep the illithium ore from the sir sarles quest to +2, acts as +3/+5 damage weapon, so upgraded MoD should be able to damage Kangaxx
- Mauler's Arm +2 is early buyable and can help low-strength party members like Viconia
- Lacks Mid-Game improvements until you reach Watchers Keep Level 4
- Storm Star can be upgraded to +5 and looks quite good.

Quarterstaff
- Bad Base-Damage
- Big variety of Options avaliable, even early in the game
- Staffmaces have better Base-Damage
- Staff of Rynn +4 is buyable early on
- Staff of Striking for Backstabs or for difficult fights (charges)
- Staff of the Magi for your casters
- Staff of the Ram has crazy high damage (+4 in Watchers Keep Level 4, upgradeable to +6 in ToB)

Scimitars/...
- Ok Base-Damage
- 3 different weapon types, only 1 is suitable for druids
- offers a speed (offhand-)weapon with Belm +2 that you can get early on
- Spectral Brand +4 in Watchers Keep Level 3, upgradeable to +5 in ToB
- Scarlet Ninja-To can be used by Monks as a speed-offhand or by rogue-classes that have "use any item"

Short Swords
- Bad Base-Damage
- Offers Kundane +2, a speed (offhand-)weapon you can get in act 2
- You can buy Sword of the Mask +4 early on at Watchers Keep (upgradeable to +5 in ToB)

Spears
- Bad Base-Damage
- You can get a +2 version quite early and a +3 version in spellhold
- Impaler +3 has a great amount of additional damage
- You can buy Spear of Withering +4 in the Underdark or get Ixil's Nail +4 in Watchers Keep Level 5, which is upgradeable to +6 in ToB, which lets it get a great effect

Two Handed Swords
- Good Base-Damage
- You get Sword of Chaos +2 in the Start Dungeon
- You can get Lilarcor +3 really early in the game
- You can cheese Firkraag (takes some reloads) to get Carsomyr +5 about midway through the game
- Carsomyr is one of the best weapons with high damage and utility
- There is also a variant for evil Paladins in Watchers Keep
- Non-Paladins can buy Warblade +4 after they are back from the Underdark
- Silver Sword, Soul Reaver and Gram the Sword of Grief all have interesting effects

Warhammers
- Bad Base-Damage (but at least does crushing damage)
- Dwarven Thrower as ranged option
- Crom Faeyr is a strong weapon and always an option as offhand weapon, but it loses value on clerics and paladins and reduces the amount of strength boosting equipment you have

So my questions are:
What kind of weapons do you typically use ?
What weapon type to you take with Jaheira ?
Do you stick with axes for Korgan or do you EE-Keeper him to another weapon type ?
I never really played with Quarterstaffs but would like to use them in a playthrough. What would you recommend ? Use them with a Fighter/Thief Multiclass maincharacter, or maybe let Jaheira use Quarterstaffs ?

EDIT:

What's your opinion on 2 Handed Weapons vs. 2 Weapon Fighting ? 2 Weapons probably wins out when you use an extra attack offhand weapon. The more amount of attacks you can get without this, the better for a 2 Handed Weapon user. And the bigger Range is always a plus in close quarter combat.

Post edited by Sacerdor on
BlackraveniosfrustrationGusindailduderinoAerakar

Comments

• DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 582
    For longswords you forgot about Daystar, a great undead slayer easy to obtain in early game.
    About my kind of weapon, if paladin type i like 2 handed swords and bastard swords, otherwise longswords.
    2 weapon fighting is better, in my opinion, than 2 handed weapon style till you achieve to get gww hla. After that i think that 2 handed weapon style is better due to more damage, more critical and longer distance needed to attack.

BlackraveniosfrustrationGusindaAerakar
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 227
    One type of weapon is missing: warhammers.
    Crom Fayer is decent weapon.

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 353
    edited November 15
    Halberds gives the ravager, possibly the best weapon of all

I have only realised recently that quarterstaves are pretty good. A +3 is available very early in BG and BG2 and they upgrade well across BG2 until the staff of the ram (magi is good for mages). You won’t be fighting any npcs for the best ones either, as I can’t think of any fighter types that are set up to use them

AerakarThacoBellDaevelon
  • SacerdorSacerdor Member Posts: 11
    Thank you for your feedback guys. I've edited most of it into the original post. Somehow i didn't include Warhammers and totally forgot about Defender of Easthaven, Scarlet Ninja-To and Ravager although i'm using the first two in my current playthrough.

Stalker/Cleric sounds really interesting. I didn't know Ranger Kits were able to dualclass and i only played the archer kit so far and never really used Valygar. Well i used his body to get into the sphere on evil playthroughs and only invited him to get inside on my good playthroughs.

I think i should also try to utilized halberds a little more. I always prefered dual wield weapons or Two Handed Swords and went over Halberds and Quarterstaffs a little too fast.