Skip to content

best 'not popular type of' weapons?

I'm personally interested in best spears? It's for the bard build.

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    In BG2 the best spear is the Impaler (+10 damage) which can be found in chapter 5 if you take a certain route. Before that you can find a Spear+3 in the temple district, a spear+1 that adds some electrical damage in the graveyard, a couple of generic spears+2 all around Amn and the Unicorn spear +2 in near the druid grove.
    I think that spear is a good choice for a bard because of its range that can keep you behind your armored fighters while in close combat.
    sarevok57gorgonzolasemiticgoddess
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Halberds. Bg1 chesley crusher, bg2 dragon breath, wave, ravager etc are very good options.
    sarevok57
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    One key overlooked weapon is the "throwing axe of disruption" which you can get half an hour into the game at the Copper Coronet and remains useful into ToB. However for best all-around weapon type I'd go with spears or staves, which would-be powergamers often ignore because they can't be dual-wielded.
    DJKajurugorgonzola
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    jsaving wrote: »
    However for best all-around weapon type I'd go with spears or staves, which would-be powergamers often ignore because they can't be dual-wielded.

"-cough-" Staff mace. "-cough-"
    gorgonzolasemiticgoddess
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited December 2019
    Danacm wrote: »
    Halberds. Bg1 chesley crusher, bg2 dragon breath, wave, ravager etc are very good options.

also the +3 halberd that deidre sells in the adventurers mart, you do lose 1 INT and CHA when you wield it, but you also get 1 STR, and its also +3, very damaging weapon

plus if you miss the impaler spear in chapter 4, you can buy the spear of withering +4 from one of the drow merchants in the drow city
    gorgonzolaStummvonBordwehrsemiticgoddess
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    installing the item upgrade mod you can get an even stronger version of the impaler, +4, +1 apr and works as a returning weapon.
    installing the red badge component of tactics mod you can get an other really strong returning spear, even if it is not so easy to survive the battle where you loot it. afaik that component can be used as standalone as tactics mod is highly configurable and gives you complete control on which parts to use and which parts to avoid.

in both cases i am talking of weapons whose power level is really high, comparable only to the one of few vanilla weapons like ravager, crom and foa.
    both the spears can be obtained only late soa at best, for the throwing impaler after returning from underdark, so at the point you get also crom, and for the +5 throwing spear of tactics mod the party has to go to the wk area with a high threshold of xp, so imo they are op, but no more then the best vanilla items.