Skip to content

Showstopper? Resource hierarchy seems to be broken in 1.79

ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
I have a case (Enigma Island) where a compiled script exists in two places - the hak and the module. The module needs to execute the hak version, not the module version. However, as of 1.79, the module version is executing.

This is a showstopper as far as that module is concerned.

Ticket raised:
https://beamdog.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/NWNS-612

Comments

• nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Hi Proleric, thanks for pointing that out. We'll be looking at why this is the case! Definitely not how it used to work.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    The workaround for now is to put the script in the new "development" folder.

I think that proves that the resource hierarchy for scripts is now development > module > hak, which is definitely not how it used to work.
    You can press ctrl-shift-f12 and click Resman; you'll see the current priority stack of resman entries there.
    edited December 2019
    jiso96h2cnp6.jpg

If I'm reading it correctly, that confirms that the hak now has lower priority than the module.

Also, I notice that the patch hak now has a very low priority.

This screenshot was taken well into module play, using the "development" folder to work around the fatal error on client enter.
    Seems to be the same in other modules, too.
  • AndarianAndarian Member Posts: 185
    edited December 2019
    Proleric wrote: »
    The workaround for now is to put the script in the new "development" folder.

I think that proves that the resource hierarchy for scripts is now development > module > hak, which is definitely not how it used to work.

If I'm reading this correctly (and I hope I'm not), it is an absolutely devastating change. It will break, wholesale, all of the (many) modules (including mine) that were built using the "patch hak" design approach, which count on the resources in haks taking priority over those in modules.
    Please recheck in 8193.5 which shipped today.
    Good news … and bad news.

We now have hak > module (so I don’t need to use the development folder to resolve my issue anymore).

However, we now also have override > module, which is a very serious reversal, greatly increasing the potential damage override mods can do to modules.

Also, as previously reported, we have override > patch hak.

https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/40916

The desired order is development > hak > module > patch hak > override > patch > base game.

I’ve updated the ticket.

h3iyajdnpij7.jpg
    Ugh. Sorry about that.

We'll revisit this properly in the new year. It _will_ be adjusted to satisfaction, just not this year.
    How is this on .6?
    @niv looks good to me.
    ty!