Skip to content

Input recognition bug(s)!

Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
edited December 2013 in Not An Issue
Okay, I've been messing around with the game and found one or two game-breaking bugs. They don't break the game per se, but they do rob most of the fun out of it so they may as well. There are two issues: party selection mechanics will not function properly, and keyboard shortcuts do not function properly.

I've been focusing more on party-selection mechanics as that's where things become the most... ruinous.

[quote]***How character selection is supposed to work***
Click portrait or character to select.
Hold shift/control while clicking portrait or character to select multiple.
Use mouse to drag a box to select multiple.

***How the BGEE bug changes things***
Click portrait or icon to select character.
Click portrait or icon again to deselect character.

So if you've got character 1 selected and draw a box around characters 1 and 2, for example, you'll end up selecting character 2 and DESELECTING character 1. [/quote]

Today, I've tested the game several times. 5 out of 9 times, the party selection mechanics were wonky for me from the very start and never returned to "normal." One time I had no issues, period, and the two other times saw the game start normally and mostly play normally, with the party selection mechanics occassionally not working properly.

Given that the other issue I've noticed is the keyboard shortcut will not work, I believe it's possible that the root cause of both issues is an input bug. For example, instead of reading the "e" keyboard shortcut the game instead recognized the command as "control + e" and does nothing. This would explain both why keyboard shortcuts don't work and why the party selection mechanics often act as though the control/shift key is being pressed (when it is not).

I've verified that it's not an issue with my keyboard, and at least two other users on GameFAQs have experienced the same issue as of this morning. This is a really frusrating bug! Fixing it should be, I think, a priority!
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    That's very strange, I can't reproduce your issue. Character selection works exactly as you said it should. Drawing a box around selected characters keeps them selected. Did you change anything in the ini file?
  • RagingCeltikRagingCeltik Member Posts: 6
    I dunno why your copy of BGEE doesn't work like you want, but everything you described in **How Infinity...*** is exactly how it works on my copy of BGEE. Click dragging a box does not deselect previously selected characters, and I can use shift/control to select (or deselect) multiple party members. I just tested it, works like a charm. You might have a bad install. Otherwise I don't know.
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    Okay, I've fiddled with it some more and it appears to be an input bug, not an intentional design choice. Just like how the game will sometimes not recognize keyboard shortcuts or mouse-scrolling, it appears that sometimes when the game is launched, the game will recognize all of the mouse inputs as though the shift/control key were being pressed.

Today, I've launched the game three times, and had the issue twice.

It's possible that this is the reason for the input bug, as, for example, instead of reading the "e" keyboard shortcut the game instead recognized the command as "control + e" and does nothing.

So... I guess this thread should be moved from feature requests to the bug board?
  • LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165

We use keyboards and mice, we don't smear dirty fat fingers on our screens!

I lol'd (and liked)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Okay, I've fiddled with it some more and it appears to be an input bug, not an intentional design choice. Just like how the game will sometimes not recognize keyboard shortcuts or mouse-scrolling, it appears that sometimes when the game is launched, the game will recognize all of the mouse inputs as though the shift/control key were being pressed.

Today, I've launched the game three times, and had the issue twice.

It's possible that this is the reason for the input bug, as, for example, instead of reading the "e" keyboard shortcut the game instead recognized the command as "control + e" and does nothing.

So... I guess this thread should be moved from feature requests to the bug board?

I would edit your first paragraph accordingly and change the thread to the bug board. Its just a thought.