Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Your party setup for a full game run through

KogoKogo Member Posts: 7
Since this is one of the best series of games I played I think it deserves a full run through from BG1 and then BG2. Perhaps even bg3 and the in between one.

So my question to you is: How would you like to play your party and with what characters? I'm hoping to get some inspiration for something fun and fulfilling to try not just op party but all suggestions are welcome.

Also I wanna add im aiming to do this with characters already in the game.

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 5,391
    Pick a theme and run with it. Do you like arcane magic? Play a sorcerer or wizard and gather other wizards to fill out your group. A multi-class fighter/mage or mage/thief might make a better Charname for this run due to party utility. There are neither of those offered in vanilla BG (there is a cleric/illusionist though). Do you like divine magic? Create a cleric, druid, or any of their multis Charname and fill your party out with clerics and druids (one cleric/thief is available in BG). Like stealth? Lots of thieves and rangers ready to fill that party out. A nature boy party can be fun. Play an archer, avenger, stalker or totemic druid and fill your party with rangers and druids. You can also do an evil/good/neutral only party, or an all male/female party. Grab Xan and Shar-Teel and start a knife-fighting party. The only limit is your imagination!

• KogoKogo Member Posts: 7
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Pick a theme and run with it. Do you like arcane magic? Play a sorcerer or wizard and gather other wizards to fill out your group. A multi-class fighter/mage or mage/thief might make a better Charname for this run due to party utility. There are neither of those offered in vanilla BG (there is a cleric/illusionist though). Do you like divine magic? Create a cleric, druid, or any of their multis Charname and fill your party out with clerics and druids (one cleric/thief is available in BG). Like stealth? Lots of thieves and rangers ready to fill that party out. A nature boy party can be fun. Play an archer, avenger, stalker or totemic druid and fill your party with rangers and druids. You can also do an evil/good/neutral only party, or an all male/female party. Grab Xan and Shar-Teel and start a knife-fighting party. The only limit is your imagination!

Lots of fun ideas. Thanks! I want a variety of classes I think but want my charname to be fun and evolving all the way through. I do remember not being to happy about rogue characters in the game and I never really managed to pull off stealth fighting well. That in mind I really like being in the front though and using spells. Last time I played I did a ranger/cleric. It was ok I guess.

Cleric/thief sounds hilarious 😂

Balrog99monico
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 247
    edited January 9
    It really depends on what you want : custom party or NPC ? Solo, small party (3 or 4) or full party of 6 ?

There are sooo many party combinations, it is hard to list them.

I agree that themed parties can be fun. The above examples are good ones.
    Other examples:
    - an all-ranged party (so OP in fact that I switched to LoB mode),
    - a no-spellcaster party (no prebuffing, fights are faster and more straightforward, Inquisitor is recommended to take care of mages debugging),
    - a late-dual party : I made 4 custom characters, covering each of the basic classes and all dualed at the same time around 1.5 million XP. Ended up with a Cleric->Fighter a Thief->Mage, a Mage->Cleric and a Fighter->Thief. Not sure if it wasn't the other way around though. I liked it because it kept the whole party progressing and getting new spells & abilities even in ToB (which is generally boring to me in this regard, your characters just pick OP HLA's and OP-er items, but gameplay is redundant)

Edit : sorry, I missed the end of your post about recruiting existing NPCs

monico wrote: »
    It really depends on what you want : custom party or NPC ? Solo, small party (3 or 4) or full party of 6 ?

There are sooo many party combinations, it is hard to list them.

I agree that themed parties can be fun. The above examples are good ones.
    Other examples:
    - an all-ranged party (so OP in fact that I switched to LoB mode),
    - a no-spellcaster party (no prebuffing, fights are faster and more straightforward, Inquisitor is recommended to take care of mages debugging),
    - a late-dual party : I made 4 custom characters, covering each of the basic classes and all dualed at the same time around 1.5 million XP. Ended up with a Cleric->Fighter a Thief->Mage, a Mage->Cleric and a Fighter->Thief. Not sure if it wasn't the other way around though. I liked it because it kept the whole party progressing and getting new spells & abilities even in ToB (which is generally boring to me in this regard, your characters just pick OP HLA's and OP-er items, but gameplay is redundant)

Edit : sorry, I missed the end of your post about recruiting existing NPCs

What's the fighter/thief doing for you?

• monicomonico Member Posts: 247
    edited January 9
    I found an old savegame, somewhere near the end of ToB

- PC was an illu(13) dualed to thief, ended up quite effective in melee (6 APR and negative thac0 with right gear and buffs)
    - next was a Berserker (13) -> Cleric. straightforward powerful.
    - swashbuckler (15) -> fighter. Great damage dealer, great scout.
    - then the nuker : Priest of Talos (14) -> Mage. Used the contingencies and sequencers to great effect.

you must remember that this was not a powergamey party, but a themed party.
    Since I dualled quite late, you must think of this party this way:
    - BG1 till 1,3 Million XP, I had an Illusionist, a Berserker, a Swashbuckler and a Priest of Talos
    - From 1,3 till around 3 Mill XP, I had a (squishy) Thief, a (high HP) Cleric, a (swift and agile) Fighter and a (very wise) Mage, same roles, but not the same guys, so they (and I) had do adapt
    - then at the very end of BG2 and in ToB, i had a M/T, a F/C, a F/T and a C/M with all the synergy and fun it brings

In my previous (erroneous) example, the main use of the Fighter->Thief is to have a scout to disarm traps & locks while your Thief->Mage has not regained his thieving abilities (which is a long portion of BG2)

monico wrote: »
    I found an old savegame, somewhere near the end of ToB

- PC was an illu(13) dualed to thief, ended up quite effective in melee (6 APR and negative thac0 with right gear and buffs)
    - next was a Berserker (13) -> Cleric. straightforward powerful.
    - swashbuckler (15) -> fighter. Great damage dealer, great scout.
    - then the nuker : Priest of Talos (14) -> Mage. Used the contingencies and sequencers to great effect.

you must remember that this was not a powergamey party, but a themed party.
    Since I dualled quite late, you must think of this party this way:
    - BG1 till 1,3 Million XP, I had an Illusionist, a Berserker, a Swashbuckler and a Priest of Talos
    - From 1,3 till around 3 Mill XP, I had a (squishy) Thief, a (high HP) Cleric, a (swift and agile) Fighter and a (very wise) Mage, same roles, but not the same guys, so they (and I) had do adapt
    - then at the very end of BG2 and in ToB, i had a M/T, a F/C, a F/T and a C/M with all the synergy and fun it brings

In my previous (erroneous) example, the main use of the Fighter->Thief is to have a scout to disarm traps & locks while your Thief->Mage has not regained his thieving abilities (which is a long portion of BG2)

That is an interesting setup. Thanks for sharing. Do you see no value in having a single-class rogue? Would you always dual-class them?

• StratosjStratosj Member Posts: 30
    edited January 10
    For me a small party of 3 felt best so far. A solo character is also a unique experience, but it can get repetitive. With 6 people in group, I usually feel like I do not truly explore each of the character classes and abilities as I should.

With 3-4 characters, you trully get to know each one of them while still having the luxury of trying different tactical combos etc.

As others said, you can play around with various setups, such as no tank, only ranged weapons, only spellcasters etc.

My current group is a Shadowdancer + Edwin + Viconia on Legacy of Bhall difficulty. It's been quite fun so far. Especially on this difficulty since so far anything that managed to come close to me meant almost certain death, and the early 3-4 solo levels I felt about as powerful as a rat.

Avoide any cheese and try minimum reload. Basically, whatever you need to make the game an actual challenge for you.

Post edited by Stratosj on
    Kogo