Skip to content

Question about my monk classed character...

I am currently playing a level 8 monk - in the first chapter of the Official Campaign, and I have a question regarding his inflicted damage - he is unarmed - using fists and kicks for attacks, but is not dealing much in the way of melee damage. I am about to complete the first chapter, but am not sure I will be able to handle the upcoming battle with Desther. Can anyone provide a bit of advice to make my monk a little more formidable in melee combat?

Comments

• CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    edited January 2020
    The monk starts with 1d6 Fist that increases every 4th LVL up to 1d20 at 16th.

There are Monk only gloves that increase Attack rating and some provide a small damage bonus like +1d6 cold damage or the lame +1 damage Electrical.

What is your Strength bonus?
    A Strength score of 16 would give +3 attack and damage.

If your Dexterity is higher than Strength than you can get Weapon Finesse and use Dexterity to boost attack but it won't increase your damage.

Finding loot such as a Strength Belt will help you, if your lucky you can get a +2 than later a +4 Strength Belt.

There is a companion item that boosts Strength, from Daelan Red Tiger if you help with his quests, staring with an amulet that can get upgrades in chapter 2 & 3 giving +1 than +3 and +4 bonus Strength.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,326
    You should definitely be looking out for those Monk gloves that Cerabelus mentions. They are basically the equivalent of a "+" weapon for other classes. Remember that +Strength items also stack too (they actually shouldn't, but that's how they're coded in NWN1), so you can throw on a Belt of Giant Strength +4 AND Daelan's amulet for like a +7 Strength total. You can further throw on Bull's Strength from a potion, up to a maximum of +12.
  • NeveroddoreveNNeveroddoreveN Member Posts: 173
    How can I find those gloves - the ones that inflict a +1 bonus to attacks and cold/electrical damage?
    And can anyone suggest some decent stats for a level 1 monk? I have never played a monk aside from the one I have done recently, but I really screwed up my stats to the point where he was incredible weak and attributes were way off. Any help is appreciated!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    im playing a monk right now, and i just finished chapter 1 but i was a monk 8/fighter 2

for starters, you want to get the gloves of the yellow rose +2 ( which can be found at aribeth's temple store; she has cleric and monk items )

plus if you have the money, you will want to get the boots of the sun soul +2, that will give you a +2 dodge AC bonus

next, for robes ( also found in aribeth's store, is the robe of the shining hand +2, for a +2 AC bonus )

also, can't go wrong with the cloak of fortification for a nice +1 ac/save bonus

amulet wise, up to you, but if you need more ac, then the amulet of nat armor +1 can be a good choice

( both amulet and cloak again can be found at aribeth's store )

for potions to use for buffing some nice ones to have are; potion of; speed, aid, bless, bulls str, cats grace, owls wiz, barkskin, those will give a nice AC bonus and some decent to hit ( if you really want to get the best bang for your buck, make sure to save before drinking the stat+ potions and make sure you get a +4 or 5 to that stat, whatever it takes to make sure you get the better modifier, because when you drink a stat+ potion it will give you a 1d4+1 bonus to that stat )

for me when it came to starting ability scores for my monk i had;

str 16
    dex 14
    con 14
    int 10
    wis 14
    cha 8

although i screwed up and apparently i didn't know that you need at least 15 dex to get circle kick, so at level 12 im going to have to raise that dex by 1 to get that feat

but other than that, stat wise is meh, in theory having higher DEX and WIS is nice since that gives you some AC

when i went to helm's hold i only had 23 AC and had no problems against desther, thanks to handy dandy evasion, his flame strikes hurt with the ferocity of a new born baby's loving smile

also skill wise, there are 3 skills that you MUST have if you really want to make your monk useful and those are; discipline, spellcraft and tumble

discipline; this helps make your monk immune to all those fancy combat manuevers and makes it so you dont have to rely on STR as much to have a good score here

spellcraft; although you are only going to get cross class ranks in this, but for every 5 ranks in this skill, you will get a +1 to all saves vs spells, very VERY useful

tumble; no brainer here; for every 5 ranks you have in this skill you will get a +1 stackable AC bonus, plus if you move around in combat you only need to get a 15 to not suffer from attacks of oppurtunity ( so you dont have to waste a bunch of precious feats to do so )

now level up wise this is what i have done/will do;

*means combined class levels

level 1 - monk ( mostly for all them sexy skill points ) human, choose luck of heros and strong soul for feats
    level 2 - fighter choose wep focus unarmed strike which gives a pretty nice to hit bonus at this level
    level 3 - 9* continued as monk, feats; toughness ( 3 ) blindfight ( 6 ) lightning reflexes ( 9 )
    level 10* took my second level of fighter to not waste the bonus feat and took imp crit unarmed strike
    level 11-12 will be monk levels just to get more ranks in tumble to get more AC, plus increase dex by 1 to get circle kick
    level 13* will be my 3rd level of fighter
    level 14* monk
    level 15* will be my final level of fighter and then i will get wep spec unarm strike for bonus feat, and for the rest of my feats; im not sure yet for level 15/18, might take the other 2 save feats, or might take pow att and great cleave for epic feats, but will have to see when the time comes and what looks useful by then

level 16+* monk for the rest of the levels

here is a screenshot of my monk just starting off in chapter 2;
    imu08ihoq1gl.jpg
  • CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    Most people are looking for the Boots of Haste for thier characters but in your case I recommend getting the Robes of the Dark Moon in chapter 2 from one of the merchants, it provides permanent Haste.

Than buy some Sun Soul boots like Sarevok57 mentioned to boost Dex and AC.

you can buy Yellow Rose Gloves also but in some chest you will have a chance to find the Gloves of Long Death which are better.

A ring of Protection wouldn't hurt either.

A ring of Elemental Resistance would be nice but most people won't find that until chapter 3.

Daelan's Amulet will boost strength than combined with a Strength Belt.

As for a helm well the Golden Circlet will make you immune to Mind Effects which they love to use.

The loot system can be a little hit and miss but you will have many chances to find some good stuff...even if it's worthless to you loot is still worth something and some of these items are available from the Temple shops so you will need some gold anyway.

Haste combined with Flurry of Blows will allow for many attacks per round in higher Lvls, at LVL 16 the fist does 1d20.

You also get Knockdown & Improved Knockdown for free at LVL 6 Improved Knockdown is totally OP in NWN 1.
    Cerabelus wrote: »
    Most people are looking for the Boots of Haste for thier characters but in your case I recommend getting the Robes of the Dark Moon in chapter 2 from one of the merchants, it provides permanent Haste.

Than buy some Sun Soul boots like Sarevok57 mentioned to boost Dex and AC.

you can buy Yellow Rose Gloves also but in some chest you will have a chance to find the Gloves of Long Death which are better.

A ring of Protection wouldn't hurt either.

A ring of Elemental Resistance would be nice but most people won't find that until chapter 3.

Daelan's Amulet will boost strength than combined with a Strength Belt.

As for a helm well the Golden Circlet will make you immune to Mind Effects which they love to use.

The loot system can be a little hit and miss but you will have many chances to find some good stuff...even if it's worthless to you loot is still worth something and some of these items are available from the Temple shops so you will need some gold anyway.

Haste combined with Flurry of Blows will allow for many attacks per round in higher Lvls, at LVL 16 the fist does 1d20.

You also get Knockdown & Improved Knockdown for free at LVL 6 Improved Knockdown is totally OP in NWN 1.

seriously, imp knock down, completely curb stomps mages and priests to the point of hilarity

i was lucky to find the gloves of long death +5 in the luskan brotherhood tower which are +5 and deal an extra 1d6 sonic damage, solid item
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,326
    Yeah, Knockdown is absurdly powerful in NWN1. For Mages, the spell Bigby's Forceful Hand does something similar, and it knocks down your foe for a crazy 1 round/level, which, against non-Warrior foes, means they'll basically be sitting on their ass until you kill them. XD
    I am playing a level 8 monk and am at the battle with Desther. My character is great with attacks till now, and for some reason I can't seem to land an attack on Desther. The other creatures - the ritual mages, the ghouls, etc - are easy enough, but I can't hit Desther. My stats are Str 19, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 11. I am fighting unarmed, if that makes a difference. Can anyone give a suggestion as to why I am having such a hard time? If you need more information, please let me know and I will provide it.
    before you can start attacking Desther you have to kill all the ritual creatures around him, even if one lives he will be invincible

so with that, did you kill all the ritual creatures before attacking him?