Skip to content

Need help with editing 2da

I have been using a 2da editor seems to work fine. Tried putting them into the ovr directory in my documents, also tried putting them in the ovr directory in steam folder of nwn.

I have played with scripting a bit. Put Francien Frabrics on steam workshop. (IG appearance changer. Heads, wings, helmets, shield). working on a few other ideas (socketed crafting system, disguise, and item affecting casting damage types). Will have to dig up my custom henchmen script later as well.

I have been trying to have assassin get Hide in plain sight at level 8, Arcane archers Dev critical at level 10.

Am I putting them in the wrong area? wrong editing tool?

Any help would be great, thanks.

Comments

• CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    Have you tried the "development" folder? Might need to restart the game after putting them there, not sure.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    To override a 2DA in the base game, use the "override" folder in Documents.

To override a 2DA in a hak, use a top hak.

The "development" folder has top priority, but should only be used as a temporary measure during development.

When distributing mods to other players, "development" should not be used, and "override" should be avoided if possible, owing to the potential damage to custom modules (these folders impact all modules, not just the OC).

2DA files are plain text, so any text editor is fine.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    What @Proleric said plus... For user made content only ever use the folders in your documents/Neverwinter Nights folder. Do not use any of the folders in the install folder (e.g. ovr), they are for BeamDog's use only. Using them means that you run the risk that whatever you put in there will vanish with the next update and use of them has been known to cause crashes.

If you want a dedicated 2da editor and you're on Windows Yata is really good and is maintained as the author is still around. If you instead want to use a Windows plain text editor you can't go far wrong with notepad++. Finally if you want to find and correct common 2da file errors as well as tidy their appearance (including fixing their line numbers) try this pair of tiny Windows utilities that I wrote.

TR
  • Third3yeThird3ye Member Posts: 3
    Hey, I've been trying to do something similar. I want monks to get Defensive Roll for free at level 18, and then the opportunity to take Epic Dodge (basically the same as Arelith's Monk class). I save both the classes.2da and monk class 2da file to override, but whenever I try to create a new character on OC to test it, the game just crashes until I move the files out of the override folder :(
  • KamirynKamiryn Member Posts: 74
    Then apparently there's something wrong with your 2da files but without seeing these files it's hard to tell what's wrong with them ;)
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Try my utilities I posted a link to in my previous post. As long as there are more than 13 lines total in your 2da, they will catch most errors and tell you where they are. At a quick guess you have missed one or more columns of data when you edited. Also try Yata also linked to above.

TR
  • Third3yeThird3ye Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2021
    Kamiryn wrote: »
    Then apparently there's something wrong with your 2da files but without seeing these files it's hard to tell what's wrong with them ;)

I'm not sure if this would help, but I basically just copied the row for Defensive Roll from the rogue class 2da, entered that it should be selectable at level 18, and then copied the row for Epic Dodge from the rogue class 2da into the monk class .2da
    Try my utilities I posted a link to in my previous post. As long as there are more than 13 lines total in your 2da, they will catch most errors and tell you where they are. At a quick guess you have missed one or more columns of data when you edited. Also try Yata also linked to above.

TR

Haha, I honestly must have missed this! Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try later!

P.S sorry for taking over the thread :|

*EDIT* I have discovered that it has nothing to do with the entry of Defensive Roll. I deleted that row and tested to see if the crash would occur again, and it did. So it must be to do with the file itself. I downloaded them from the NWVault since NWN:EE doesn't come with the source.2da
    Post edited by Third3ye on