Skip to content

Importing ToB Characters into SoA

I just bought BG Enhanced Edition for Switch today and was pretty annoyed when I realized you can't import a character made in Throne of Baal into Shadows of Amn like you could on PC. Now I'm wondering that if I start a party in SoA and play with it all the way to the end of ToB, will I be able to import that party (at their current levels) back into a new SoA game? I sure hope so.

Comments

• iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    This is a weird thing. Can confirm that the whole export/import thing works as expected on PC and iOS and Android

By “as expected” we are talking about just the main character right? I’ve never been able to export an entire party on any version...

Seems bizarre that Beamdog would take the time and effort and code to break this just for the Switch version. There are so many genuine actual proper bugs that they could be fixing instead...
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Um, "as expected" would be an exploit in this case though, right?
    iosfrustrationmonico
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    i don't see it as an exploit as it is a legittimate option of the game to import a character and start soa with him, whatever level he has.

but i have tried it many years ago, importing from the final soa savegame as then i had no tob installed and never did it again.
    Why?
    fun to do it one time, but utterly boring after a little while. the enemies are designed to spawn in different ways according to the party level, and also the npcs are got at different levels depending to charname's one, but only to a certain extent.
    very little for the enemies, so you will have the party members over leveled for the enemies you have to face but very under leveled compared to charname.
    this completely breaks the game balance, with a party over leveled and a charname even more over leveled that could babysit them and solo chap 2 with almost no effort alone.
    iosfrustrationdunbarsarevok57monico
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I did the same thing in BG1 a long time ago and I agree, it's fun to do once - but even then I didn't bother finishing the game as it very quickly became boring.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    although its a great way to beat the boring LoB mode for BG 1 and 2 if you are trying to get the achievement ( luckily you only need to beat SoA and not ToB in LoB to get the achievement for BG 2 )
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    Unpopular opinion: LoB is awesome
    StummvonBordwehr
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    players tastes and opinions can be really different so i think that LoB has its place, is a good EE improvement over the original game.

i am not a fan of it, to buff so hard enemy's stats seems to me a retarded way of making the game harder.
    also with lob the game does not only become harder, the whole combat system in changed as the damaging spells become way less useful as the enemies have such high hp pool and st.
    i really prefer mods like my beloved tactics or scs, and also other ways of making the game harder, like rolling mediocre stats for charname, avoiding the items that make some battles very easy and picking not optimized parties instead of using the most powerful npcs.
    also mods that reduce the xp gain are great for that as the more the game progress the more the party becomes under leveled instead of becoming much more powerful then the enemies.

but it is just my personal taste and opinion on the matter...

i see also the use of LoB combined with other things to make the challenge extreme, like @Lord_Tansheron is doing playing that mode with ScS, IR and SR and without resorting on clones.
    also that is not in my personal taste as it force you somehow to play only with very optimized parties, it greatly reduces your options, and my fun is to explore all the options a given party has, reloading the same battle over and over and playing it in completely different ways.
    but i perfectly understand the reasons why it is the way he is having fun, as his personal style is deeply rooted into the research of the most powerful and effective party build for a given setup.
    playing LoB forced him, that was all on the damage output side of the equation, to reconsider and put a lot more attention on the defense, as the LoB enemies can not be taken with the kill them really fast before they kill you strategy.
    iosfrustration
  • Duke_LoinDuke_Loin Member Posts: 2
    monico wrote: »

I totally agree. LoB difficulty is awesome and makes importing a fully leveled party pretty much necessary. On PC I'd roll a full 6 person party and play all of SoA and ToB then import that party into a new SoA game on LoB difficulty. I'm sure I'm not the only one
    monico
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    Duke_Loin wrote: »
    monico wrote: »

I totally agree. LoB difficulty is awesome and makes importing a fully leveled party pretty much necessary. On PC I'd roll a full 6 person party and play all of SoA and ToB then import that party into a new SoA game on LoB difficulty. I'm sure I'm not the only one

I don't always play LoB mode, but when I do, I do it solo, poverty, no-reload.
    gorgonzola