Skip to content

Spell visuals

Does anyone know how to script the visuals of a "Cone of Cold" or a "Cold Dragon's Breath" without the delay it takes for casting a fake spell?

Comments

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    edited February 2020
    For Cone of Cold,
    ApplyEffectToObject(DURATION_TYPE_INSTANT, EffectVisualEffect(VFX_IMP_FROST_L), oTarget);

In general, spells.2da gives the name of the spell script, which you can open to discover the visual effect required.
  • Awas73Awas73 Member Posts: 63
    Thanks @Proleric , I found that effect but the one I am looking for is the actual Cone visual from the hand or preferably the mouth like dragon breath.
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    Some visuals are hardcoded in spells.2da. You may be able to migrate them into visualeffects.2da to reate a scriptable effect visual.

-Dave
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    edited March 2020
    Afaik nobody succeeded to make these spell visuals into classic visual effects. I think the primary issue is that these visuals needs a starting point and direction to use which is something you cannot do with EffectVisualEffect.

You were thinking right with fake spell but indeed that cannot be cast instantaneously. But there is a way.

Make the object to cast real spell, with bCheat = TRUE and bInstant = TRUE, also before that store a local int on object ie. SetLocalInt(oCaster,"FAKESPELL",TRUE); and then check this variable in spellhook and cancel the spell being fired if this variable is true and delete the variable.
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    I think the issue with using these effects is that the animation is called "cast01." A while back I converted all of them into regular vfx by making copies of them, renaming them to "vfx_conecold" for example, and changing the animation name to "default." List them in visualeffects.2da as Type F, under Imp_Impact_Node, and Orient With Object 1, and you'll be able to use them as instant vfx that look just like the spell effect.