Skip to content

Clubs Aren't So Bad

I am running a Dwarf Fighter/Thief who is dual wielding clubs. After all these years I have never used clubs much, but there is a nice club in EE and another one from a mod possibly. Anyhow, besides the effectiveness of it, my PC just looks bad ass hooded up as a dwarf and clobbering foes over the head. He is very effective and can backstab without swapping.

Anybody who has played the series for awhile knows you don't have to have uber everything to win. There may be more powerful alternatives, but clubs are powerful enough for me to be leading the party in kills. Looking forward to the poisoned club in BG2.

Comments

• monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    I'm not running it yet, but my next playthrough involves a chaotic evil barbarian dwarf, using clubs to start fights in bars when he drinks (which he will do a lot).
    He'll also have a pip in Axes, because he'll need one to cut himself new clubs from nearby trees, chairs, tables...
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    I agree clubs have perfectly decent options. That's helpful if you're running a Beast Master PC, given the only melee weapons they can use are clubs and quarterstaffs - and the latter don't allow rangers to make use of their free pips in dual wielding ...
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    SOD also has the Ettin Club +1 in the Underground River area, which deals 2d6 +1 damage but imposes a -5 to Thac0 penalty. It could be interesting for your Fighter/Thief to play with that for some backstabbing fun in the last portion of the game. High strength, Thac0 boosting gear and the stealth bonus should more than offset the Thac0 penalty.
    monico wrote: »
    He'll also have a pip in Axes, because he'll need one to cut himself new clubs from nearby trees, chairs, tables...

I forgot limbs. Limbs make good blunt weapons, makes the enemy blind from the blood splattering in their eyes, and they flee in terror from the sheer madness of seeing a crazed dwarf running their way flailing their companion's legs or arms.

... Maybe I should stop playing violent videogames for a while...
  • ShangerooShangeroo Member Posts: 84
    Clubs aren't so bad, it's just that there aren't very many good clubs when you get to BG2. I think the Club of detonation is the only when with a +3 ability and it isn't available until you get to one of the level 5 fights in Watcher's Keep. For my is whether to burn a proficiency points on this or another weapon where I can get +3/+4 to hit for the majority of the playthrough
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Clubs really are underrepresented in these games. I always loved getting the Root of the Problem in BG, especially once I fixed it so that the extra +2 against "monstrous" creatures worked like it was supposed to. Icewind Dale II has decent amount of clubs, including a handful of +5 clubs.
    Shangeroo wrote: »
    Clubs aren't so bad, it's just that there aren't very many good clubs when you get to BG2. I think the Club of detonation is the only when with a +3 ability and it isn't available until you get to one of the level 5 fights in Watcher's Keep. For my is whether to burn a proficiency points on this or another weapon where I can get +3/+4 to hit for the majority of the playthrough

Blackblood (purchasable in Trademeet after solving the quests) is a +3 club.
    Bone Club (spellhold) is considered +3 against undeads, +2 otherwise.

But true, a very underrepresented category.