Skip to content

Unable to use Nwsync or host a mod in NWN EE

I am unable to use Nwsync or host a mod in NWN EE.

The Nwsync fails after a minute or two of DLIng each and every time and no matter what I do I cannot have my server/mod show on Bream dog. I believe there may be an association between the two issues and by fixing one the other will be corrected as well.

I have made a ticket and sent the below information to Beamdog and Steam ten days ago. Steam was professional enough to get back to me within a couple hours, even if it was to only let me know that NWN EE was a third party game and nothing they could do to contact Breamdog. On the other hand Beamdog has never responded and the status is: Waiting for Support. Needless to say, I am less than impressed by Beamdog and will really question purchasing any games they do in the future.

So, I am hoping someone in the know can help me in the community. I have also contacted my provider and worked with the Tech’s on 3 occasions to make sure Port Forwarding was correct and they did a DMZ. They have assured me they were and even researched the ports and said I needed to contact Beamdog….. which as stated they have ignored. My problem is listed below.

(Since the original sent post below, I have also DL NWNEE from a different PC without GOG and turned off all firewalls and virus protection and it still did not work)

I have purchased Neverwinter Nights EE on both GOG and Steam. The first was from GOG and I have had it running for about a year and a half and most recently, in the past week have purchased it again from Steam. I only play online on a PW, however the Nwsync has never worked for me and I have to jump through hoops getting files sent to me with any server update. I also cannot run a local mod for others to join. It will not appear on the Beamdog Server List. I have also opened all of my ports that could find reference to online 5120-5300 6500, 667, 27900, 28900. I have also had players try to direct connect to me which has not worked and some have gotten “Direct Connect UDP Hole Punch Failed. I have also turned off my fire wall and virus protection, but still not work.

For some reason when I first DL NWNEE it put all the main files on my C drive (which is my operating drive) and put the remainder on my D (!Downloads, bin, data, lang, ovr, until and misc GOG files)
The paths are: C/Documents/Neverwinter Nights (ambient, database, development, dmvault, erf, hak, localvault, logs, modules, movies, music, nwsync, override, portraits, saves, screenshots, servervault, tempclient, tlk)
D/Games/GOG.com/Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition (!Downloads, bin, data, lang,ovr,util and Misc GOG files)
I have often wondered if this is the problem having the files separated. I recently purchased the game again in Steam. I DL the game, however even when running the NWN directly from Steam it uses the my GOG settings. All local characters are available and my DM Avatars for the PW I DM on, modules custom portraits etc. I never linked the two it just automatically happened. When I started the Steam NWN they were there. I would think they should be two separate games and IDs?

(I am running Windows 10 and also have Neverwinter Diamond installed on the PC)

The Steam directories are: C/Program Files(86)/Steam D/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Neverwinter Nights (bin, data, lang, ovr util steam_appid)

Any help in straightening this out, I would be very grateful. I would like to be able to Sync the game for updates and be able to Host a Mod.

Thank you in advance,

Comments

• WilliamDracoWilliamDraco Member Posts: 175
    I can't help with the connection issues, but I will clear up the directory issues.

In NWN-non-EE, all files were put into a single directory.
    In NWN:EE, the install follows the proper approach of dividing the files between install/game files (those found in either the steamlibrary or gog.com) and the user files (those found in your documents folder).

In 99% of cases, you should never touch the game files. Only the user files are intended to be touched. And, because every EE version of NWN (Steam, Gog, or beamdog client) by-default uses the same user files, that is why you are seeing everything linked. Separate game installations pulling from the same settings and custom-content folders.
  • WolfPaw99WolfPaw99 Member Posts: 11
    Thank you. That is one down and answered. It is appreciated.
    Now... if only the Hosting and Nwsync could be figured out....
  • RifkinRifkin Member Posts: 141
    Can you show us what your nwn.ini looks like? Should have some sections for NWSYNC in there, might be worth ensuring those are pointing to the right locations
    Thanks for any help. I have tried everything to DL through NWsync and Host a mod, nothing has worked. Here is the NWN.ini file

[Alias]
    HD0=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights
    MODULES=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\modules
    SAVES=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\saves
    OVERRIDE=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\override
    HAK=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\hak
    SCREENSHOTS=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\screenshots
    CURRENTGAME=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\currentgame
    LOGS=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\logs
    TEMP=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\temp
    TEMPCLIENT=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\tempclient
    LOCALVAULT=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\localvault
    DMVAULT=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\dmvault
    SERVERVAULT=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\servervault
    DATABASE=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\database
    PORTRAITS=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\portraits
    AMBIENT=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\ambient
    MOVIES=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\movies
    MUSIC=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\music
    TLK=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\tlk
    PATCH=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\patch
    OLDSERVERVAULT=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\oldservervault
    NWSYNC=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\nwsync
    DEVELOPMENT=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\development
    MODELCOMPILER=C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\modelcompiler
    SOURCEOVERRIDE=..\libsource\exobase\\..\..\\gamedata\latest-resource-override
    [Display Options]
    Borderless=0
    FullScreenDesktopMode=0
    FullScreen=1
    glFinishBeforeFBO=0
    TexturePack=3
    UseLargeFont=0
    Width=1920
    Height=1080
    BitsPerPixels=32
    RefreshRate=60
    [Video Options]
    SetUIScale=1
    NumDynamicLights=8
    Enable HardwareMouse=1
    AntiAliasing Mode=1
    Enable VSync=0
    ShinyWater=0
    NumShadowCastingLights=3
    EnableVisualEffectsHigh=1
    Enable Truform=0
    Enable AnisotropicFiltering=0
    CreatureWindSetting=0
    EnableGrass=0
    EnableFastGrass=1
    Grass Far Render Distance=900.0
    MaxTextureMemory=2000
    Enable FBEffect Ambient Occlusion=1
    Enable FBEffect High Contrast=1
    Enable FBEffect Vibrance=1
    Enable FBEffect Depth of Field=0
    Enable FBEffect Sharpen=0
    FBEffect Gamma=1.3
    EnableSkyboxes=0
    VideoQualitySetting=2
    EnableEnvironmentShadows=1
    CreatureShadowDetail=1
    Enable TextureAnimations=1
    Enable CreatureEnvironmentMapping=1
    [Sound Options]
    DisableSound=0
    Main Menu Music Theme=mus_theme_main
    Environment Effects=0
    Music Volume=0.00
    Voice Volume=0.75
    SoundFX Volume=0.70
    Speaker Type=0
    3D Provider=
    2D3D Bias=1.00
    [HTTP]
    Max Concurrent Connections=20
    [NWSync]
    CompressionProvider=zstd
    SQLite Shard Count=31
    Yes, I have even turned all firewalls off and my virus protection to test. I have all ports forwarded that I could find online saying that they should be and a tech from my provider set a DMZ. Still does not work. The only thing I have not done is set a Static IP address, which I am researching the correct way to do now. However, my understanding is this would not matter until someone tried to log in at a later date, that it could possibly change, but an original log in should still work. However, nothing works and it is very frustrating because years ago I use to host games all the time without an issue in 1.69 and there wasn’t a Nwsync.
    Anytime I try to use Nwsync I get a failed and timed out error after the first small DL from every server when I start to DL their content.