Skip to content

Elf Weapon Bonuses?

One thing I've never been clear on: What weapons do elves actually get a bonus towards? It was a little more cut and dry in the original BG when we had broad weapon categories. I've heard people say they get a bonus to all bows, does that include crossbows?

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited February 2020
    In the EE the bonus applies to short & long swords and short & long bows - but not crossbows.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Thanks guys. <3
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    Grond0 wrote: »
    In the EE the bonus applies to short & long swords and short & long bows - but not crossbows.

I don't think it ever applied to crossbows (despite the name, a crossbow is not a bow, it's an arbalest, very different construction & utilisation than a bow).

The difference, IIRC, between EE and vanilla is that the elven bonus applied to other kind of one handed bladed weapons (i'm sure about scimitars/wakizashi/ninjato, I think it applied to daggers as well, and not about bastard swords).
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    monico wrote: »

I don't think it ever applied to crossbows (despite the name, a crossbow is not a bow, it's an arbalest, very different construction & utilisation than a bow).

The difference, IIRC, between EE and vanilla is that the elven bonus applied to other kind of one handed bladed weapons (i'm sure about scimitars/wakizashi/ninjato, I think it applied to daggers as well, and not about bastard swords).

That's weird. In lore alot of Elven weapons tend to longswords. I wonder why it PIPs were extended to daggers and schimitars initially.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Noloir wrote: »
    monico wrote: »

That's weird. In lore alot of Elven weapons tend to longswords. I wonder why it PIPs were extended to daggers and schimitars initially.

The original BG1 had a simplified weapon proficiency system. Swords were just divided into small (which included dagger for instance) and large (which included 2-handed swords for instance) - and all of those got the elf benefit. I suspect it was partly because the benefits had been spread over so many weapons in BG1 that the designers of original BG2 allowed a wider range than the lore might have suggested.