Skip to content

Question about .cre files and creatures

LookToWindwardLookToWindward Member Posts: 179
Hi,

I'm using EEKeeper on my Mac and looking at the creature list, I see for example:

Name: Aasim Resource:ASSIM, <other information>

My question is where is the data for this originate? Is it all stored in a file somewhere? I can't see to find .cre files for AASIM, so I'm guessing that the info is built into the BG:EE Application? Is this correct?

Thanks for any insight,
All the Best
Dave

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    so i think what editors do, is that they go into the data files of the game, and kind of open them up and display all the necessary info

im not sure what specific files EE keeper opens up ( but i assume it used files from the "data" folder in the BG directory )

this is why you will never find specific files like; AASIM.cre or whatever because its inside another specific file

now when you edit said file ( like a creature for example ), what the editors do by default is put your edited copy into the over ride folder, this makes it so when the game is loaded up, it checks the over ride folder first and uses those files before the default ones

this also helps make it so the original files don't become corrupted and mess up the game if an improper edit was made

so if you used EE keeper and edited the AASIM.cre, it will show up in your over ride folder, but it will not be the original AASIM.cre it will be the one that you made

hopefully that kind of made sense
  • LookToWindwardLookToWindward Member Posts: 179
    Thanks a lot, that makes perfect sense!