Skip to content

Launch Day - Suggestions for Next Time

I really don't want to seem as though I'm posting this just to whinge but after initially thinking I wasn't all that bothered about getting to play on launch day I found myself slouching off to bed last night feeling more than a little disappointed I didn't at least get to get to hear Imoen say "Heya, it's me, Imoen." Especially as I'm busy now for the next few days so won't get a chance to play. Don't get me wrong, I think it's bloomin' fantastic there's still so much interest in getting ones hands on a game first launched 14 years ago - and available for download in its original form elsewhere - that demand fried the servers but there has to be some way of ensuring that everyone who wants to play on launch day gets to play on launch day (especially those of us interested enough to invest in a preorder). So in order to avoid sounding like a total whinger here are a few thoughts / suggestions on how to ensure this might happen...

1) Earlier in the day, please. 1:00pm MST is just no good for those of us hours & hours in front of you if things need to be downloaded at the last moment. It took a hour from 8:00pm GMT to even get on to the server and three hours later the patch download still hadn't finalised. In fact my connection to the servers dropped with barely a sliver of the download clock left to complete, far too late to get a game going even if it had finished.

2) If you need to patch something at the last minute please work with Beamdog to ensure this information is conveyed to everyone, perhaps by providing some further detail about what your supposedly preloaded game is actually downloading. The only reason I knew about the patch was from Trent's tweet. On the subject of Tweets, Trent, I know you were excited people had finally got their hands on the game but as I didn't manage to get to play on launch day those RTs from people who'd managed to launch the game and didn't have to go to bed and get up for work were just a little bit like rubbing salt in the wound. (That's my moan, there, done now).

3) If the game does need to be patched, how about allowing those with preloads to run the game and then prompt them a patch is available from the game home screen?

4) I checked before I left the house this morning and now have a finalised game and a start button in the Beamdog client. But it doesn't launch. I know the game runs because I ran the .exe from the program folder. Thoughts? (I'm running Win7)

That's all.