Skip to content

FPS

LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
edited December 2013 in Fixed
Observed: Changing the baldur.ini file line with fps from 30 to 60 does not change the speed of the game or the fps for that matter.

Expected: Changing the baldur.ini file line with fps from 30 to 60 should change game speed and fps.

Steps to reproduce bug?
1. Well... Starting up the game? :P

The text in the baldur.ini file:

'Program Options', '3D Acceleration', '1',
'Program Options', 'Maximum Frame Rate', '60',
'Program Options', 'Path Search Nodes', '32000'

System:
Producor: Packard Bell
Model: EasyNote TS11HR
Processor: Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB
64 Bit operative system (win 7)
GeForce GT 540M
Direct X 9.0c

I don't think my system specs are really relevant. It seems noone is able to get the higher fps/game speed.

EDIT: I was looking into why my video was funking up and I fixed it by manually setting the GeForce graphic card to be the one used for the game. Shockingly it solved my fps.... I was like WTF?
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• AitricAitric Member Posts: 4
    So you're saying the game speed improved as well?
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    yes. The game speed improved.
  • neriedneried Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2012
    How do you go about manually setting the graphics card?

Edit: nvm, found it, and you're right--works like a charm!
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    please do share it with us too.
  • maplejarmaplejar Member Posts: 23
    Yes please share this info with the rest of us.
  • AmenerisAmeneris Member Posts: 2
    Share with others please
  • YemethYemeth Member Posts: 36
    come on guys, we need to know ! :D
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831

EDIT: I was looking into why my video was funking up and I fixed it by manually setting the GeForce graphic card to be the one used for the game. Shockingly it solved my fps.... I was like WTF?

@Lifat Want to share with the rest of the class what you are talking about?
    neried said:

How do you go about manually setting the graphics card?

Edit: nvm, found it, and you're right--works like a charm!

@neried How?

Ok, so to fix via graphics card: Go to Program Files, then BeamDog, then whichever folder is BGEE for you.
    Right click on Baldur.exe, go to the 'Run with Graphics Processor' option (4th from the top for me), and change it from the Integrated Processor(default) option to the High Performance option, then re-launch the game
    @neried No such option when I right click on Baldur.exe... hmm
  • CenerCener Member Posts: 45
    I don't think it's related to the 60 fps problem.
    Not the FPS issue per se, but it made my game play at normal speed *shrugs*
  • SowingSadnessSowingSadness Member Posts: 85
    Elendar said:

@neried No such option when I right click on Baldur.exe... hmm

it's option available only laptops with integrated intel video card and discret nVidia

• BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    neried said:

Not the FPS issue per se, but it made my game play at normal speed *shrugs*

"Normal speed" is 30 FPS in BG... :)

Just teasing you.
    Although I don't increase the FPS, I understand you want the option.
    Still, it's the original and intended FPS for the game.. ;)
    edited November 2012
    Original and intended and unplayable without boots of speed.
    @Elandar

Ha, ha.. :-)
    To each his own, right.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    @neried: can you do us one last favor? start a new game, and measure how long it takes from you starting position to run next to the cross near the area marked as temple of oghma. it's around 23 seconds at 30 fps - if you get something like 12 sec with Maximum Frame Rate set to 60, I'll whip out my other, somewhat bricked gpu and try to replicate it on a desktop pc :)
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    @bytebrain It's just a bit hard to play at 30 after playing BG2 and Throne for yrs and then being able to Play at 60 with TUTU or BGT. Each their own I guess but you can autopause every round so even at 60 things never get out of hand.

My understanding was that BG:EE was built using the latest version of Throne. At least keep the functionality of BG2 and Throne for BG:EE. That way those who want to play at 15,20,30,35,45,60, are then able to play at that speed.
    @begolf00
    I understand completely, and I was only teasing a bit in this thread, don't know why. :)
    It's an option that should be there, as a lot prefer it, I agree.

Cheers. ;)
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    @Bytebrain

Thanks for the understanding. Did you model the ogre/orc in your profile picture your self? Sorry if that's not what it is. If you did that's really impressive.
    Lol!!
    Thankfully, though I'm not the most handsome guy in the world, I don't look anything like my avatar.. :)

I found it on the Internet.
    Made a search for "RPG fantasy avatar "and "Baldur's gate avatar" and more in the same vein until I found that bloke.
    :)
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    Sorry people. Was in "no internet" land for a couple of days...
    To get higher fps you need to find the baldur.ini file. It is in documents folder by standard.
    Open the .ini file with wordpad (if you use notepad it will be increasingly dificult to read), and find the line that says something about maximum fps. Change value to 60.

The following steps have been translated from Danish to English and options may differ both because of translation and/or different versions of program. Also keep in mind that you are doing this at your own risk. I'd also like to add that it is as far as I know only a fix for very specific laptop setups (AFAIK doesn't work on desktop)

If your game is lagging then one option that may fix it is to go do these steps:
    1. Go to NVIDIA-control panel
    2. Go to the heading "manage 3D-config" (for me it was middle heading)
    3. Inside this choose "program config"
    4. Under the first option choose ADD.
    5. Find your baldur.exe file
    6. Choose to use your graphic card.
    Should be done.
  • SpiteSpite Member Posts: 18
    Yeah doesn't seem to work on my desktop :/ Choosing the GPU-unit only have two options: Use global settings and use the specific card. Choosing global would make no difference of course, and choosing only the graphic card makes the settings "Use all", which is already the global and it makes no difference in the game.

I'll see if I find anything while playing around there, since it does fix the problem on laptops there should be at least some way to fix it on desktops as well.