Skip to content

Langauge C

If I learned language C for computer...would I be prepared to create my own PW? And/or would I need to learn coding? Or both? Just a quick question...

Comments

• WilliamDracoWilliamDraco Member Posts: 175
    C is a coding language, so you kind of asked the same question twice....

nwscript, which is the language all the scripts in nwn are coded in, is based on C. It's not exactly the same, but knowing the C Language could be a springboard into knowing nwscript, mainly because there are many more tutorials for C than for nwscript.

That being said, if you're able to you could just skip C and go straight to nwscript.
  • Lilith_Heidi_hoeLilith_Heidi_hoe Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for that. I asked on a server in Discord last nite and was told I should learn C++. Is there a C+ too? Do I have to start with C, move to C+ then ++? Can I learn this at a technical college? What is the most accurate route I should take? I appreciate your quick reply too...
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    If all you want to do is script for NWN, you don't need to know any other languages. NWScript is its own thing, and you could learn that by itself and be perfectly capable of creating a PW. If you have a personal interest in learning coding outside of NWN I'd recommend C++ but it is absolutely not necessary.
    dunahan
  • WilliamDracoWilliamDraco Member Posts: 175
    Agree with Ancarion.

Also, C++ and C are separate languages. C++ is again inspired by C, but it's not simply "level 2" of C or anything, it is its own thing.
    Ok thank you for your replies....Now where do I learn NW script? I have a book called "The Worldbuilder's Guide" that came out along with NWN 1. Have'nt looked a lot into it but that's a resource...where else should I search for resources? You Tube? The NW Vault? Forums?
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    In my opinion, the best place to start is with the NWN Lexicon.

nwn.lexicon.com

It explains just about all you need to know, and also has some tutorials. For me personally, I just learned by studying and modifying the existing game scripts, and through a lot of trial and error. Also, you should check out the Builders - Scripting section of these boards for any specific questions or help. A lot of people here will be more than happy to help you learn!
    dunahan
    Alright thanks for your reply :)
    Anyone have any other suggestions on where to find info about this? Besides You tube videos...which I'll look at..but other suggestions are more than welcome...
  • dunahandunahan Member Posts: 139
    I had not learned C or C++, only a little bit of Visual Basic or Batch did I knew.

So I did my first steps in nwscript with LilacSouls Script Wizard found here
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/ls-tk-script-generator
    and the lexicon.

I started with the script wiz, read those scripts with the lexicon and by the time I was be able to understand those.
    Then, I tried to learn more by writing some by myself. Next step was, downloading some of the scriptsets of the vault and by implementing those in my PW I learned even more.

I think some people here have gone a similar way.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited April 2020
    Have a look at this thread over on the vault. It has loads of links to different tutorials.

The Starting Point - module building tutorials for beginners - and where to find them

Please note that there are links on there to a couple of tools and links to scripting tutorials too. It's not all toolset tutorials. At this point in your learning I would recommend that you start from the first post I link to above and work your way down.

Good luck with your pw BTW.

TR
    dunahan
    Thanx for your replies....I really appreciate them. I'll certainly take a look.
    dunahan