Skip to content

Party Ideas

gohanf22gohanf22 Member Posts: 99
Ok so I am going to do a playthrough here soon of a bhaal difficulty. Here is what im thinking for makeup and yes I'm using happy patch so evil characters will join me.

This is if I'm using a melee/fighter type player toon:

Valygar Melee/Ranged

Viconia Healing/Spell

Imoen Spell Flinging/Trap Finding/Lockpicking

Jaheira Healing/Summoning

And the 6th one is a toss up between Hexxatt and Yoshino although if im doing a lawful good character such as pally, ill probably go with Yoshino, otherwise probably hexxatt cause of the 20 str and 20 dex

If im using a Magic type/ranged player toon:

Sarevok Tank, its a given

Valygar Offtank/Melee/Ranged

Imoen Spell Flinging/Trap Finding/Lockpicking

Viconia Healing/Spell

On the second group, I could change Jaheira out once in awhile for like hexxatt, Yoshino and possibly wilson the bear when hes acquired. Now I wont be able to have sarevok til ToB, so in his spot id probably use mazzy/korgan for the time being til hes acquired.

Ideas and advice on party changes feel free to reply.

Edit: I could also use Aerie in place of Jaheira for extra spell flinging and also healing, only drawback is her 9 con which i could improve with con books if i find them.

Comments

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited May 2020
    Valygar and Viconia will fight to the death of you chat to the wrong npc, but this can be easily managed at least unlike Minsc and Edwin or Keldorn and Viconia.

Both parties are fun, in terms of pure power Viconia is weak compared to others come the endgame. I like Imoen and Valygar very much (Valygar can be very underrated) and Jaheira is a powerhouse.

You don’t have anyone really tanky until ToB in party 2 (assume you will do this yourself in party 1), apart from Jaheira who has somewhat low hp, but this may be my subconscious saying add Mazzy (who is almost obligatory for me). I quite like at least two mages as well but that’s no biggie.
    gohanf22gorgonzola
  • gohanf22gohanf22 Member Posts: 99
    ilduderino wrote: »
    Valygar and Viconia will fight to the death of you chat to the wrong npc, but this can be easily managed at least unlike Minsc and Edwin or Keldorn and Viconia.

Both parties are fun, in terms of pure power Viconia is weak compared to others come the endgame. I like Imoen and Valygar very much (Valygar can be very underrated) and Jaheira is a powerhouse.

You don’t have anyone really tanky until ToB in party 2 (assume you will do this yourself in party 1), apart from Jaheira who has somewhat low hp, but this may be my subconscious saying add Mazzy (who is almost obligatory for me). I quite like at least two mages as well but that’s no biggie.

Yeah the mod that adds party members dont fight is a blessing cause your right about the valygar and viconia thing, they dont like each other.

Party one is going to have me as the tank probably pally or fighter. More than likely pally. Party 2s tank as i said will probably have to be mazzy or korgan for the time being til i get Sarevok which is epitome tank.

i wont do this playthrough until my characters are at LEAST lvl 20 cause if i try it at lvl 7 i get blasted fast in the beginning of the game.
    Ok so I'm giving this more thought here into each party makeup and I agree with what @ilduderino said about 2 mages. Faster you burn down bosses, the better your party survives SOOOOOO. Here is what I think will happen in my legacy of bhaal runthrough:

Party Makeup One (Player Character a Tank)

1. Valygar : Have him dual wield katana and scimitar cause if memory serves there is a really good katana and good scimi in the game. Have also use longbow if needed, but primarily dual wield
    2. Jahiera : If shes set up right with possibly sword and board style setup, she can be a menace and also heal like crazy
    3. Imoen : Give her a sling as main weapon to use while shes slinging spells and also the staff of the magi.
    4. Aerie : Mind you her con is VERY bad, but can be improved, HOWEVER, shes a cleric/mage and 2 mage setup would be beneficial
    5. Haerdalis : BARD! And hes a damn good one unlike the ones in BG1. Plus he has his own weapon he starts with, if memory serves. I'll primarily use him as a team buffer and ranged.

Misc Options for Party One: Bring in maybe Viconia as a sub for maybe Jahiera if need be for extra cause wounds and healing if do not want to summon.

Party Makeup Two (Player Character a Mage)

1. *Sarevok : PURE TANK! Put a two handed sword on him thats good for him and let him go to work.
    2. Valygar : Same setup as Party one
    3. Jahiera : Use her a bit differently with her weapon loadout and scripting for pure summoning, possibly.
    4. Imoen : Same as Party makeup one
    5. Haerdalis : Same as Party Makeup one

Misc Options for Party Two: Will have to use as main tank either mazzy or korgan for the time being. Give korgan the crom faeyr as main weapon so he can make mince meat out of golems. Can also sub Viconia in for Jaheira if need be like party one.

These are probably the only two party makeups ill do cause i love playing pally and mage alot. If anyone has any better ideas or tips for party makeup, please reply.
    gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    gohanf22 wrote: »
    Viconia Healing/Spell

imo there is something wrong here...
    viky: spell is ok, healing is the less useful task for a cleric, there are plenty of potions in the game, regeneration items, even those that regenerate really slow will heal completely if you sleep or travel to distant areas when they are equipped and there is a wand that not only resurrects but completely heals at distance in no time, very useful in combat as you can heal a very low health tank in no time and without moving.
    she can also do some serious damage both ranged and mlee. her clerical buffs can give to her (as she has gained some levels as are level dependent) 25 str, so +7 thac0 (mlee only) +14 dmg (also with sling), fighter like thac0 and automatic maxed damage roll. If you factor in that both an enchanted sling and the enchanted bullets add some damage, while for the enchanted arrows no damage is added, and their thac0 bonuses stack it means that properly buffed viconia can do more then 25 dmg each sling shot, so probably close to 60 if hasted, then she can use the rest of the round to cast. while not buffed you barely notice what she does with her sling.
    Mlee, only from mid soa, she can use her buffs and hit hard DW, 4 apr improved hasted, hitting as well and often as a fighter. She has low hp but if you use her as flanker and as she gets more hp from her buffs she can survive doing it, as long as you don't use her as tank.
    also her turn undeads is super strong, to have mummies, vampires and late game even liches fight at your side instead of against you opens some interesting tactics. ie in the windspear hills dungeon she can sneak in using sanctuary, turn the vampires and other undeads and use them to clear the rest of the area.
    she is MUCH more then a healer.

jaheira: she is a very strong and versatile fighter, she can both equip a good shield and tank with good ac (if needed the belt that rises con for a long time can be used to mitigate her low hp problem), but she can also DW with the best weapon you find in the MH, it will be blackbload until you find better weapons mid and late game, and belm OH for a very high apr.
    the ironskin spell make her even more tanky and from 3M xp she has access to fighter HLA.
    also here much more then healing an summoning, she can be a tank, a flanker with high apr and obviously she can also summon and cast spells.

i have many party ideas that i don't share here, as a party is only good as a player is able to make it shine, and every one of us prefers some tactics and excels in using some classes, but has still to improve using others (ok few pro players you can use them all at the best, but for an average player it is true ;) ).
    a party with FM, jan, aerie, haer dalis, nalia/imoen, neera and in tob sarewok dualed to mage can be as good as one with sorcerer, korgan, keldorn, jaheira, anomen and imoen/nalia and valygar, one has 100% of arcane casters and 3-4 toons that properly buffed can do serious mlee damage, the other is super strong at mlee and still has arcane and divine casting capablilty, but they lead to completely different ways of playing, so how the player likes to play is too relevant to suggest an "ideal party".

all that i can do is to point out how 2 of the toons of your original party n.1 are much more then the role you seem to want to use them for. and the best use of the capabilities of the party members is the key to be strong and effective, much more then the party composition.

gohanf22ilduderino
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    gohanf22 wrote: »
    Viconia Healing/Spell

imo there is something wrong here...
    viky: spell is ok, healing is the less useful task for a cleric, there are plenty of potions in the game, regeneration items, even those that regenerate really slow will heal completely if you sleep or travel to distant areas when they are equipped and there is a wand that not only resurrects but completely heals at distance in no time, very useful in combat as you can heal a very low health tank in no time and without moving.
    she can also do some serious damage both ranged and mlee. her clerical buffs can give to her (as she has gained some levels as are level dependent) 25 str, so +7 thac0 (mlee only) +14 dmg (also with sling), fighter like thac0 and automatic maxed damage roll. If you factor in that both an enchanted sling and the enchanted bullets add some damage, while for the enchanted arrows no damage is added, and their thac0 bonuses stack it means that properly buffed viconia can do more then 25 dmg each sling shot, so probably close to 60 if hasted, then she can use the rest of the round to cast. while not buffed you barely notice what she does with her sling.
    Mlee, only from mid soa, she can use her buffs and hit hard DW, 4 apr improved hasted, hitting as well and often as a fighter. She has low hp but if you use her as flanker and as she gets more hp from her buffs she can survive doing it, as long as you don't use her as tank.
    also her turn undeads is super strong, to have mummies, vampires and late game even liches fight at your side instead of against you opens some interesting tactics. ie in the windspear hills dungeon she can sneak in using sanctuary, turn the vampires and other undeads and use them to clear the rest of the area.
    she is MUCH more then a healer.

jaheira: she is a very strong and versatile fighter, she can both equip a good shield and tank with good ac (if needed the belt that rises con for a long time can be used to mitigate her low hp problem), but she can also DW with the best weapon you find in the MH, it will be blackbload until you find better weapons mid and late game, and belm OH for a very high apr.
    the ironskin spell make her even more tanky and from 3M xp she has access to fighter HLA.
    also here much more then healing an summoning, she can be a tank, a flanker with high apr and obviously she can also summon and cast spells.

i have many party ideas that i don't share here, as a party is only good as a player is able to make it shine, and every one of us prefers some tactics and excels in using some classes, but has still to improve using others (ok few pro players you can use them all at the best, but for an average player it is true ;) ).
    a party with FM, jan, aerie, haer dalis, nalia/imoen, neera and in tob sarewok dualed to mage can be as good as one with sorcerer, korgan, keldorn, jaheira, anomen and imoen/nalia and valygar, one has 100% of arcane casters and 3-4 toons that properly buffed can do serious mlee damage, the other is super strong at mlee and still has arcane and divine casting capablilty, but they lead to completely different ways of playing, so how the player likes to play is too relevant to suggest an "ideal party".

all that i can do is to point out how 2 of the toons of your original party n.1 are much more then the role you seem to want to use them for. and the best use of the capabilities of the party members is the key to be strong and effective, much more then the party composition.

That...Is VERY Intuitive and knowledgeable. I keep forgetting certain characters can be dual classed or multi classed into other classes and may make them stronger, example your sarevok example. I may actually try that. I'm also thinking of using some new npcs from mods cause I hear some are actually quite useful. I'm going to try some mods to make more versatility and more options available. I'll update this when I'm ready cause I also think I'm going to do a playthrough also posting updates in the playthrough forum. I love both bg games but bg2 has WAY more content, items, and choices then bg1 does. Plus the damn SoD bug where it loads slow at times is agravating and its irritating me to playthrough bg1/SoD to bg2. Ty for the info gorgonzola. This info helps me try to make a good party for LoB. I won't do a playthrough til at least characters are 15-20 in level.
    gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited May 2020
    to dual class sarewok has some cons, i used it in one of my examples as kicking all the other toons but charname and maybe the romance and getting to ToB with some scroll cases stuffed with spells to learn and erase you can speed the dual a lot.
    but it had sense in that particular party where all the toons was arcane casters, so all the toons could protect themselves with arcane magic and you had the potential to cast 6 spells/round without using improved alacrity, ie you can stack 6 webs and hit ranged the webbed enemies, you can open each fight with 6 skull traps or fireballs or you can use the incredible number of stoneskins and PFMW to tank forever.

but the plain fighter sarewok is probably better in most parties as he will get fighter hla and GWW coupled with his deathbringer attack and a vorpal weapon, silver sword and later the halberd that ignores ST is super powerful, i would say that in most of the parties is better this then having him also mage or thief.

about viconia, or also aerie or anomen if you plan to use them the right buffing sequence is holy power (sets the str overriding the one from items, gives the thac0 of a fighter of the same level of the cleric one and gives 1 hp/level, capped at lev 20) then righteous magic ( always maxed damage roll, same hp gain and a level dependent increase to str, but only if cast after holy power) and finally DUHM that further increases str but also con (more hp) and dex (ac and ranged thac0) that i usually cast as last as is the first to expire, but can also be cast before RM, the really important thing is that HP is the first or will override the str bonus from the other 2.
    if you use that procedure she becomes a good ranged and in some cases mlee fighter, if you don't she will not. same for aerie and somehow also for anomen that in the first part of soa is good also not buffed, but being only a lev 7 fighter in late soa and in tob needs the buffs to hit often and do damage.