Skip to content

why is pvp not popular on nwn ee?

goglordgoglord Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 3
In the original game back in mid 2000s, there were a number of popular pvp servers like nwknights, bastions of war, alestorm, life vs death. In this version some of these old pvp servers are back, but I see they are not popular. The only servers with lots of players are role playing servers. How come people aren't playing pvp?

Comments

• FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    There are a couple of reasons that I'll list in order of how important they are to making the decision not to play on a pvp server.

1. People on multi-player want a larger population, low population = dead. For many people this overrides everything else. Heavily time-invested communities, friend groups, signal boosts from devs/press, low barrier to entry, they're the primary factors to success.
    2. No trickle down effect. People that dislike a popular server often say they dislike nwn. Possibly because some people talk as if popular equals the best nwn has to offer. The same logic applied to movies: Avatar is the best movie ever made? Probably not.
    3. There are better games for competitions between players and nwn is really old now, people know it inside and out.
    4. Risk aversion is encouraged and nurtured on many servers. Hence features like pvp and permadeath are shunned by most players.
    5. Obfuscation of pvp with phrases like cvc teaches people to think of pvp as bad. While it also encourages social interaction and group formation to create one-sided pvp situations with no real risk and only fun for those in favor.
    6. People that still regularly engage in pvp do so on other servers through things like arenas and sparring. If you can't have exciting large scale pvp you can still have regular pvp.

I think to get people interested in pvp again you would have to make a major overhaul to the formula. Even then it would be an uphill battle to draw people to the server, probably almost impossible to draw them away from their current server.
  • goglordgoglord Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2020
    :/ massive shame because imo neverwinter nights offers some of the best pvp experience out there even if the formula is very old...

Could be just nostalgia but I think the character customisation and range of play styles you can get from multiclassing + feats + skills is generally unmatched by other pvp games.

In my experience, more popular format pvp games like first person shooter / battle royale / or MOBAs the only character customisation is in what kinds of items you can get, otherwise you're locked into a pretty restrictive style of play depending on what kind of character you choose, if you even get to choose characters. There's no sense of building a character, which is a shame, because character building makes for a great pvp experience!

I guess best hope of making nwn pvp popular again is to address your point 1.), maybe through some kind of 'advertising' strategy...the servers are out there, people just need to know about them
    Those options only really matter when people are trying to figure things out. When they know the likely outcome the choices fade away and you're left with hyper-focused characters that leads to repetitive play. It might be different for people that take a long break but there are people that have played for tens of thousands of hours.

While I do agree with your general idea about customization I would also stress that most competitive games evolve to keep things interesting.

As for advertising I agree that more can and should be done to promote the multi-player aspects of NWN and all of the variations that exist. So that most posts across the internet don't only focus on the same two or three servers.
  • ChreelisterChreelister Member Posts: 30
    From playing NWN online from 2003 until now mostly on 1 server. I think it is because the player base has matured. I know in 2003, they were a lot of say, punks who played. People who go around trying to start something, trash talking, PPing and looking for PVP. I don't see that now on regular NWN. It is like the punks grew up. Not saying you can't be mature and PVP, but it seemed back in the day the people I PVPed with, seemed to be of the younger crowd. I also think, not a lot of the younger generation are playing NWN.

But since I have been tracking it, since November, then there was more servers than people, now it seems the player population has tripled. Most seem to be on 2 servers, the only 2 Beamdog will allow consoles to be on and they are not PVP servers.

The only bad thing of running, starting or playing a PVP server, is what FreshLemonBun said, you need a lot of people and people will only play the servers with all the people on it, no matter what it is, in my opinion.
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    edited May 2020
    I think that there are still some Action modules with PvP support that are popular Badlands, Dungeon Eternal X, Heart of Winter. What you listed were pvp arenas which died off long time before EE was released.

The reason is that the content that these server offered was supplemented by newer games. While there is not much games where you can have a gameplay of Arelith or Ravenloft or w/e, there are lots of good games that offer the same kind of gameplay that these NWN servers offered and without drawbacks.

I was hosting 2 pvp arenas myself for a short time period and I was playing a lot on Ancient Rage (first one I believe), Bastions of War a shorly Antiworld as well. All these modules had a problem with balance, logging counters and low player base. When there was 30 players and every player had a few targets he could kills relatively easily it was fun as hell. But when the player count dropped under 10 all this failed because it was not fun to just run around and be a free kill for anyone without having chance to kill anyone yourself. Which lead to logging counters which was antifun as well.

Most players left these servers for Guild Wars, Counter Strike, Team Fortress, League of Legens, DOTA, Path of Exile etc. The more players left the less enjoyable these servers were and the remaining players were leaving too. So yeah, all players are gone and unlike other modules, these doesn't work at all without at least 10 players online.
    I wouldn't characterize competitive activities as immature either but I certainly see the point. As I understand it a lot of old guard servers are also very stuck in their ways and it rubs off on people that play there.

The population has increased due to two major drivers since November. The first was winter sales which is when the yearly peak is expected. The second is Covid19 which has people house bound and has more impact on player population than anything else since NWN EE released. The main issue here is that the retention rate of online players has been pretty poor and it's possible almost all of the new players will leave again once things open up. Probably before most of them try less populated servers.

I'm not sure I would consider it a category specific issue either. Since many people use PotM and Arelith as action servers either way, meanwhile there are just as many RP servers as empty as action/pvp servers.

Something else I've been thinking about lately is that no matter how many players NWN EE gets it seems to translate in to an almost imperceptible difference in the amount of modding activity. I think a lot of people these days just aren't willing to make an effort for one thing. In that sense just selecting the most populated servers would also result from a lack of effort and long term investment in the game.
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    edited May 2020
    This is why I still prefer "Lite RP" servers that offer a bit of everything else including PVP. I can't stand pure RP servers. Usually get a bunch of "stuffy" people that harp on you for not being a forgotten realms encyclopedia. DM's yell at you for running instead of walking(even if no one else around). Everyone sits around some camp waiting for something to happen and everyone rps literally everything their character does, even if you can see their character do it..ie *stands up*. Realm of Lost Legion was a fantastic example of an RP/PVP server back in the early days. Might help to have a few more server categories?
    It's hard to classify most of them as heavy RP either, they might have stringent rules but it does little to improve the quality of the RP at all. In some cases such as servers with rules against "running" you have to consider that while characters do move slightly faster in NWN than D&D the run action in D&D is up to 4 times as fast or 5 times as fast with a feat. The characters are not actually running in NWN and they should be able to maintain the pace for quite a while and not stand out much for moving at that speed. It makes those kind of rules all the more bizarre and pointless.

Others have rules that force you to chat regularly or other outlandish philosophies that nobody who worked in role playing games ever espoused. A lot of times those rules and systems miss the mark and don't achieve anything productive, and it just seems like they forgot what they were trying to achieve with them in the first place.

Action style servers don't suffer that as much because the desired behaviors are usually already built-in to the mechanics.

I would say that "action", "roleplay", and "campaign" would suffice as far as categories go. More than that and you would just spread things out too much.
  • Ɲ????Ʀ????Ɲ????Ʀ???? Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2020
    There are far too many roleplay, low magic, hard to progress servers out there with too strict rules. Especially concerning roleplay. While I have nothing against it, I don't really care for roleplay. I won't ever play those servers but there are enough that seem to enjoy it. More power to them.

This is of course just my opinion but it should be up to the player if they want to roleplay or not. Openness should be the name of the game, not strict enforcement. There is a reason roleplay is as niche as DnD and there are other places besides virtual video games where you can do that in person. Far more engaging that way having seen it in person.

I just want to be myself as the character I'm playing in a virtual world. I like to make characters, quest, level, pvp, pve, craft for and gear them, not worry if what I'm typing is in character or not. That's it.

Concerning pvp, most of the arena servers where pvp is the only thing to do, have long since been gone. Maybe since the gamespy days. As has been said there aren't too many servers that still support it but that number is not 0. Even so, there tend to be rules around certain aspects of those servers that just aren't enjoyable to me/friends.
    Post edited by Ɲ????Ʀ???? on
  • DrakonDrakon Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2020
    The biggest factor is that people who played purely for PVP have moved on to newer games. Battle Royale, MOBA, MMORPGs, etc there are a lot of options now compared to the old days. RP (and to a lesser extent, action grind servers) are still popular because NWN's builder toolset and flexible multiplayer still fills a unique niche that no other game has reproduced.

I do think there's an opportunity for a no-RP NWN server that blends PVP and PVE. Possibly with roguelike and fast single session leveling features. Like a Battle Royale server with a mix of monsters to kill, loot to find, and players dropping items on death.
    Post edited by Drakon on
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    edited May 2020
    I wouldn't characterize competitive activities as immature either but I certainly see the point. As I understand it a lot of old guard servers are also very stuck in their ways and it rubs off on people that play there.

I am not sure if that was response to my post but PvP servers are something different to other servers. Obviously zero or low player count is a general detterent to players, the lower the numbers the less likely are players coming to try it which leads to vicious cycle that is hard to break.

But on most roleplay and action servers, player can still have a fun playing there solo or without many other players being logged in. There is usually enough content provided and another players are not neccessity but a bonus.

This is not the case for PvP Arenas like Bastions of War or others. There is no content other than testing builds. You need another players to even start the game and due to the NWN PvP nature of "rock-paper-scrissors", unless there are quite a lot players most of them will be just losing constantly without any chance. This is especially problematic because these servers don't offer coop it is always good vs evil or red vs blue so 4 players on server means there wil be 2v2 battle. Now if you are on a red team and you play fighter and your friend is playing dwarven defender, and another two players join and because they see what you play they choose cleric and mage, you will get into unfun slaughter. This always happened. Nobody wants to be losing so players either relog for counter to enemy counter, or just leave. And because relogging will only cause enemies to relog as well it always ended up with players leaving. These kind of servers absolutely need at minimum 10 players so at least 6 of them can have fun. Even if those 4 won't have, they can still contribute to the team play and have at least some satisfaction. But without 10 players these servers were never fun. So the low player count vicious cycle is much worse here.

This will not happen in newer games like MOBAs, Battle Royales etc. there is always enough players. I moved to MOBA as well after playing on Bastions of War. I stil think pvp in NWN has some merit, but without large player base that will cover all hours, it won't work anymore.

I really miss the times there were 30 players on BoW/Antiworld/Blood War.
    No, it was not directed towards that. However I agree that strictly PvP servers can't really maintain interest without changing and producing new content as action servers and roleplay servers.

While action has not had such a great foothold in NWN EE the server Higher Grounds for 1.69 still does quite well across all their servers despite not having the same stream of new players. Success is not left solely to roleplay servers but the offerings are a little skewed right not so that we don't get to see how each respective genre would do compared to each other.

My hypothesis is that with a better representation of genres players would have been more willing to try other servers. If players had found that the top five were all between 50 and 200 players, representing RP, Action, and Social, then players might have stuck around and been more keen to spread to smaller servers. Rather than assuming that NWN was not for them.
  • Merak_HaguenMerak_Haguen Member Posts: 2
    Here it is friend, help spread the world, on great PVP server is back.

Server: NWKnights
    INFO: Lvl 20 PVP Server Team Objective Maps
    Server Discord: https://discord.com/invite/cpNc4TG