Skip to content

is this game overtuned

shadeyshadey Member Posts: 2
I never played the game when it came out originally but there's parts where I have to turn the difficulty to the easiest and even then I am having to use every healing spell and potion, like the bandit camp for example. I was level 2 and 3 party members.

I really don't like having to just go to lowbie areas and "grind" mobs to level, I don't like to use cheese modes to win like kiting either.

Just seems like most D&D games start off like this as very unbalanced, temple of elemental evil was kind of similar in ways, you couldn't even do the first area with your pre-created characters and had to hire a higher level npc.

Comments

• IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    It's not too difficult. You start at a low level and so should stick to low level areas in the beginning. Imagine the opposite: you start at low level and you grind out all high level areas from start.. that would be ridiculous.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Baldurs Gate doesn't hold your hand for you, if you go to the wrong place you will get your ass handed to you. Otherwise you have to learn to use good tactics to survive.

As for Temple of Elemental Evil, I played through the entire game without ever hiring an NPC to fight for me, without turning down difficulty, and that includes killing the Balor in the fire node.

Based on your comments I assume your tactics need work. Learn your teams strengths and weaknesses, learn how to engage the enemy (let them come to you), and make sure you use your spellcasters well, a sleep spell is often worth far more than a fireball. Baldur's Gate era games generally were far more difficult than contemporary games. Learn to manage.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    There is definitely no need to grind mobs. I'm sorry to say but it sounds like you just need to learn to play better. As the poster above suggested I'd start with making good use of crowd control spells. Having a decent party balance is important too, etc. Overall D&D games are often hardest at early levels though.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    Sleep spell and ranged weapons for everyone and some tactical thinking and i can guarantee youll find it extremely easy at least on that easy difficulty.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited November 2012
    Fully exploring areas that you encounter will hand you easy experience (generally). If you've reached the bandit camp then you've probably been through Beregost, Nashkell and all the areas in between.

You don't have to grind mobs in this game but you really do have to grind exploration, if you want to help yourself out.

It also sounds like you've either missed, turned down or lost some NPCs to help you out, to get where you are you've probably already been past 8 or 9 of them.
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    There's no need to grind in these games, the progress is natural and fair (In my experience)
    This isn't the easiest game though when it comes to combat if you're new to it as there are a lot of things to consider, I wouldn't worry about what difficulty level you are on.
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    Use your mage for hold/sleep, the cleric for buffs, use your ranged damage dealers on mages and finish off enemies that are held with melee
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    Dont forget you can pause the game at any time and assign orders in your own pace. Then unpause and watch the battle unfold. Default key is spacebar. Use it often!
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    When I first started playing this game, I always had a full party of 6 characters even though only half of them were truly useful. Remember that EXP is shared between party members so if you do a playthrough with only one character you technically level up 6 times faster. There's really no point in carrying around a full party if they don't pull their weight.

I get by with a tank, a healer and an extra character like an archer or thief. I prefer a smaller group because I can manage them equally. I used to have characters that double up in their function, like two clerics or a thief and a mage when really what I wanted was a bard. Not to mention that some NPCs in this game are just not beginner friendly especially the notorious Garrick.

The thing about Baldur's Gate is that part of success really depends on your play style. Some people can storm into dungeons with heavy hitting tanks or mages. While others prefer stealth tactics with backstabbing thieves or slow tactics of attrition. I get by in the Bandit Camp by leading the outer forces away from their allies to cut them down. Slowly moving inwards to finish off the stronger foes.