Skip to content

The Different Attributes in the Game

So, I only played BG2 and never the first, yes sorry I know shame on me, and I guess you can later import your main char into BG2. So I was plannig on creating a "Knight?"-> Paladinkit (Because of you know what in BG2), and I was wondering do I need intelligence at all ? I mean sure it makes sense from a Roleplaying point of view, but when we are talking about the game choices does my character will suffer from a low Int value ?
I heard rumors about not be able to speak properly but i don't know if that's really the case.

Nevertheless, My Questions is as follows.
Is it a viable option to give your character min stats ( 3 ) in Attributes which they do not need ?
For example if I will put Wisdom on 3 will it affect my Willpower throw or is that not implemented in this Game?
What about Wisdom on a Monk will he get Bonus AC as its normal for monks in D&D or not implemented ?
And since there are not abbility scores like in D&D for what you need Intelligence, do you need it in not Arcance classes at all ?
Since I want to import my Character later to BG2 Enhanced when it comes out, and you are familiar with that one aswell, do I need to consider the same stuff ? Or will suddenly be Wisdom affecting Willpower throws even if
(don't know that for sure ) it's not affecting it in BG EE ?

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Yes, they are viable options. Wisdom and intelligence will either do nothing at all very little (such as providing a larger reservouir against intelligence drain attacks) for classes that don't directly depend on them. They don't affect saves or speech, and having them low brings no particular disadvantages.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I thought they fixed the wisdom saves?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    It's not in the manual so I assume not. Which makes me a sad panda...
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    So much for the wise warrior :( silent but deadly..

Isn't that Korgan's catchphrase?
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Azrael - I'd try not to totally dump INT, in case you do go to BG2:EE with that character. It's hard to get amazing stats, but it is do-able. My paladin is

STR: 18/64
    DEX: 18
    CON: 18
    INT: 9
    WIS: 14
    CHA: 18

Took a while to get that.

silent but deadly..

That sounds more like a quote referencing a bad base of evil flatulence ;)

• lindzlindz Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2012

@Azrael - I'd try not to totally dump INT, in case you do go to BG2:EE with that character. It's hard to get amazing stats, but it is do-able. My paladin is

Remember only fighters benefit from anything above 16 con.

• ShrimpShrimp Member Posts: 142
    lindz said:

Paladins and Rangers as well.

Also, if you're planning on using that character in BG2, 9 int will make no difference (even if you use the tome to raise it to 10) compared to having it at only 6. You-know-what take it 5 by 5.
  • lindzlindz Member Posts: 6
    Ah true it was a paladin. Darn warrior classes and their 18/xx rolls. :(
    lindz said:

All warriors gain extended Hitpoints for CON scores above 16.

Also gnomes, dwarves and halflings gain an additional +1 to their saves at 18 CON.

• RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    Having Int above 10 also has another benefit. Character can use scrolls. So a paladin or ranger could use priest scrolls.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    @Redrake: Only needs to be at 9 for that, but it's still a great point.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    You'll want at least 11 int for fighting mind-flayers (normal ones take 5 per hit, Ultharids and Alhoon take 8...and it doubles on a crit). While ideally you'd want to gun them down from range, if the fight forces you into melee, 11 int lets you take 2 hits or 1 crit before they can instant kill you.

10 base would be better if you can, but if you rush for the machine of lum, you could get by with a base of 9. Though it requires fighting a few mindflayers before you can use it.

Never make a paladin with 18 charisma. The charisma tome can be gotten immediately and 18 is the max required for a handful of quests (and with algernon's or a nymph cloak you'll have the maximum shop discount at 20)...and a paladin does NOT need 18 charisma to get the dagger+1. Fuller always gives them the dagger.