Skip to content

Could you please comment on these modules for me if you've played them (in EE especially)?

chevalierchevalier Member Posts: 51
edited May 2020 in NWN:EE Modules
I have a list of modules selected — on the basis of the list of FR modules checked against individual NWVault pages — for being set in the Forgotten Realms, not having game-breaking issues or very poor reviews. Also removed modules for evil characters, full casters or classes or races I wouldn't play or <1h modules that weren't very interesting to me or too complicated technically, or for a race or class I wouldn't play. My focus is on stuff you can play with a non-evil human warrior type. Also not interested in OC/SoU/HotU sequels, prequels and interquels at this time, or BG/IWD conversions.

Might I ask the modules veterans to take a look at this list and (1) flag any modules that might be broken or make the character incompatible with other modules; (2) let me know if I've missed anything good that should be on this list (FR-based, warrior, non-evil)?

(I'll get around to Greyhawk, Krynn, Mystara and other modules later, after finishing with FR.)

Premium Modules — done
Alazander's series — done.

Cormyrean Nights, preceded by Brightwood (same author, should put you on just the right level to start CN) — current focus

Aielund Saga (as standalone campaign)
Arterra (compatibility?)
Adam Miller's whole series in a bundle
Sapphire Star
Swordflight

The Paladin War
Mines of Twin Summit
Tallanvor's Pride
Shadows of the Past
CC1 — Gates of Myth Drannor, followed by CC2 (CC1 from level 5, CC2 ending at level 15, so semi-campaign)
Chorin's Fate
Candlebright, followed by Cleansing of Saradush
Dragon's Edge
Mediation
Four from Cormyr
Daggerdale
Harrowdale
Shadowdale
Silstrei Knell
Withering In the Darkness — Whispers in Nightmares
Fate of Daggerdale
The Cult of the Bull
Shadows of Madness
H4 — The Throne of Bloodstone
For the Love of Winter (Part One)
Uluvin - Trouble in the Hills, followed by Uluvin II - The Crumbling Stair (level 1–8 total, so a semi-campaign)
Blight on the Barro
Beneath
Terror in Ten Towns
The Accursed Tower
Torslunda
Adventure Around Triel
The Horde: Orcs
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Dark Water's Edge
The Retaking of Sokol Keep
Weapons of Zhentil Keep
NWM — The Cult of the Bull
Oesterk Keep — Part 1
The Golden Forest
Beginnings
Raindrop Sessions — Part I, followed by Part II (level 1 to 6, so a semi-semicampaign ;))
Beneath the Spine, later Return to the Spine
Temple of Torm, later The Sons of Raza'ak
A Forgotten Evil — Chapter One, then Chapter Two
JHR1 — The Vethboro Dragon
Vermin of Velune
The Savage Frontier
Bad Day At Castle Eldath
Post edited by chevalier on

Comments

• IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    edited May 2020
    Cormyrean Nights has an amnesiac twist to it, so you might not want to bring a character with a pre-defined backstory into it. It's a great module that holds up to modern standards really well. Brightwood is a decent enough module as well - if you want to level up a character for it, I used the P&P module conversion "UK5 Eye of the Serpent" for that, which is a decent starting adventure.

I was not aware Arterra needed fixing - at least on NWN Diamond, I recall playing through it without any bugs a couple of years ago.

The CC modules have good lore and great humour, but they are *very* heavy on the H&S and, infuriatingly, the main plot kind of gets left hanging in the air since part three was never completed.
  • chevalierchevalier Member Posts: 51
    Isewein wrote: »
    Cormyrean Nights has an amnesiac twist to it, so you might not want to bring a character with a pre-defined backstory into it. It's a great module that holds up to modern standards really well. Brightwood is a decent enough module as well - if you want to level up a character for it, I used the P&P module conversion "UK5 Eye of the Serpent" for that, which is a decent starting adventure.

I was not aware Arterra needed fixing - at least on NWN Diamond, I recall playing through it without any bugs a couple of years ago.

The CC modules have good lore and great humour, but they are *very* heavy on the H&S and, infuriatingly, the main plot kind of gets left hanging in the air since part three was never completed.

Thank you!

I'm happy to hear Arterra works in Diamond, though from what I've heard there are some EE compatibility issues. But DE is always a viable fallback option.

Thanks for the UK5 recommendation — I love decent starting adventures or stuff you can play as a level 2-3 character after another short module took you there. Kind of like levelling up on side quests or early parts of main before you figure it out, except by loading different modules with no in-game hub or bridge between them. I like it this way, as it's similar to how PnP characters level up.

About CN's amnesiac twist — how high is the risk of incompability with an existing backstory, notably the one from Brightwood? Just something like you've already been to Cormyr and met certain characters or something more serious like specific parents, siblings, family village etc.?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Isewein wrote: »

both Arterra and prophet have scripting issues caused by the last patch.
  • chevalierchevalier Member Posts: 51
    Okay, I've taken a slight peak into the CN walkthrough and so I know you're supposed to be a
    Harper

And so I wonder what build to make, since my usual approach (paladin) might not be the best. Here's what I've considered so far:
    You could, of course, be a Harper paladin or Paladin/HS. But I've also thought about incorporating either Ranger or Bard levels. Paladin/Ranger/HS, Bard/Ranger/HS, Bard/HS/CoT.

A CHA-dependent pre-buffed melee character wouldn't be very far from my usual Paladin strategy anyway. Also: Tumble. Possibly Parry. Possibly UMD. And, due to arcane spell failure, an excuse to try Dual Wielding, mitigated by buffs somewhat. Or 2H. But I've never used a double-headed weapon in NWN1 yet, so I'm tempted if only just to try it.

Using Ranger levels on a Bard would go some way toward dual-wielding, which would be a great option when you don't want to use a shield due to penalties.

However, you could always just unequip the shield for a while, even in combat. And eventually you would use Auto Still Spell on epic levels. Epic levels, on the other hand, are far off. And you need 8 Ranger levels for the improved version, and with 3/4 BAB from Bard and HS you won't be hitting much, at least with the second attack.

For epic levels, of course, one would think about full plate and tower shield, with Tumble, on Auto-Still-Spell. It's a pity Ranger levels don't give the required proficiency feats, and with the class limit at 3 this would mean sacrificing feats to be allowed to wear all that iron, so perhaps this isn't as great as it initially appears.

Bard/HS/CoT could make a nice Paladin-style Neutral Good character. And sneaky but not backstabby. With as many pre-epic CoT levels as possible, this would help the BAB and saves (all good classes for saves) and give a bunch of feats to play with.

On the other hand, Ranger/Paladin gets full BAB and eventually gets free IDW, but, not being a bard, there's really no reason not to use a shield or a 2H weapon, unless you play around with rogue skills, sneaking, etc. It would have humans as a FE and be a bit of a grim holy bounty hunter — obviously a paladin with childhood issues and elven fantasies and a bit of a split personality. The HS class could be taken on epic levels here, to save the BAB and help get Great Smites faster.

Pure Paladin/HS would be doable and have its benefits — but probably not as good as staying pure. But, pure is something I can do without a dozen other modules.

Paladin/Ranger/HS wouldn't have great casting opportunities, but you would have 2 stacking casts of Cat's Great and Eagle's Splendour (+Aura of Glory). You'd basically be a low-level paladin and a low-level ranger both, with just the combined BAB, HP and saves. However, you won't have the INT to cover all the cool skills.

I've also thought about WM — the obvious escape from a gimped casting progression — but the feat requirements would be too hard with HS.

… And if you're a Harper, then though you can be any class, it still makes sense to be a Ranger, Bard or Harper Scout.

I've also given AA a thought, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet. Unless someone's going to tell me Bard/HS/AA really is a good build.