Skip to content

[MOD ideas] and other fanciful things I can't hope to create

MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
edited July 2020 in BGII:EE Mods
I had two ideas that I would love to see, but have no hope of making myself. These are:
1) A detective mystery set in a snowed-in lodge in the Cloud Peak mountains, and
2) A moderate expansion of the De'Arnise Keep stronghold
3) A detective mystery that connects the guarded compound with *something* else. Perhaps the twisted rune, perhaps the slavers in the slums, or maybe even the illithids (probably not...). I actually think the slums is the most reasonable, to be honest, but I really would like to see an expansion of that.

For 1, I imagined a full size map set in a hollow of the Cloud Peak mountains, entirely snowed in like the area of the same name in BG1 (Rasaad's monastery quest). It would have snow bears, winter foxes, white rabbits, etc, but in one corner would be a snowed-in lodge with about a half dozen other guests - a mix of nobles and merchants - all gathered on a hunting holiday.

The idea here is that one of the guests is randomly selected to be an assassin, probably a druid or someone else opposed to hunting for sport. The plot is advanced by sleeping in the lodge, and every morning, a different guest is found dead. Your XP reward depends on how quickly you figure out who the assassin is based on clues such as who was last seen with the victim, blood found in rooms, etc. IOW, a detective story. If you solve it quickly enough, you get credit for all of the survivors, less the assassin, who you would have to deal with.

For flavor, every day you should be able to go out on a hunt with one or more of the guests - which is where the bear, fox, and rabbit come in. In fact, this would be how some clues would be obtained. Others could be obtained by talking to people fireside in the lodge. Cooks, butlers, maids, etc. could also give clues or hand over evidence.

As an incentive, the entrance could be closed off with an avalanche until the mystery is solved. The goal is to create an RP mod, not a loot/XP mod, so even saving most of the guests should reward no more than maybe 5k or 8k per.

For 2, I would create a farm area like the one in BG1 between the FAI and the city gates, where the party could actually go and talk to the people affected - rather than waiting on a representative to show up. Since there are a couple, maybe a few mini-areas with a farm and a river.

I've always felt that this stronghold should be open to anyone, not just fighters, and that it really begged to show a bit of the rest of the estate. This mini-mod would essentially just replace a couple of the encounters in the keep with trips to the affected areas to increase the RP value.

After the quest is done, you could go back and actually ask the residents themselves how they feel about your rule from time to time. If you screw up bad enough, they could even mob you! (Which would be awesome, as it would instantly set your rep to 0 if you fought back)

For 3, the door to the guarded compound should be blocked until you solve the mystery and get permission from the government to break it down (they are rich folks, after all). To get the clues, you have to wrap up either the slaver plot (for that idea) or the twisted rune stronghold (for that idea). You take the clues to Brage, and if you gathered enough, he gives your party permission to interrogate the occupants. Proceed as normal from that point.

Sadly, none of these are ideas I could ever hope to complete. So, I'm hoping it might spark some interest in the modding community.