Skip to content

Changing Bard Songs?

Greetings everyone,
recently I had the exceedingly bad idea to play a bard/wizard multiclass character. Luckily, the 'Magic Rating System from unearthed Arcana' mod from the vault enabled me to do that without sacrificing effective caster level, however, the effectiveness of my songs is suffering nontheless.
Hence my question: is it possible to have bard songs scale with character level or caster level instead of class level, and if yes, can someone tell me how? I have already opened the feats.2da, hoping for easily changeable numerical values and found none, so I hope someone can nudge me in the right direction.
Thanks for reading, I hope you have a pleasant day.

Comments

• TerrorbleTerrorble Member Posts: 169
    The effects bard song and curse song have are controlled by their scripts: nw_s2_bardsong and x2_s2_cursesong.

You would have to open the module you're playing in the toolset, open the script editor, search for and open these two files (mark the All Resources radial button), change the line of code that calculates the character level.

Change line 53 in nw_s2_bardsong:
    //change this line from this:    
        int nLevel = GetLevelByClass(CLASS_TYPE_BARD);

//to this:
        int nLevel = GetHitDice(OBJECT_SELF);

Do the same thing for line 36 in x2_s2_cursesong.

Save them.
    Exit script editor.
    Go to Build menu -->
    Build Module -->
    put check in Advanced Controls, Compile and Scripts boxes -->
    click Build.
    Save the mod and you're done.

Apologies if you are way more familiar with a lot of that, but I'm covering the bases.
  • KanjiimufuKanjiimufu Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2020
    Hello Terrorble,
    quite honestly, I barely know what a script is, therefore my familiarity with them can not be understated,
    however, thanks to you describing very clearly what I have to do, I feel confident to give it a try.
    You have my thanks.

Big Edit: It seems, I have actually managed to... well, manage.
    I have followed your instructions, opened the toolset, the editor and scripts, changed the lines,
    was about to save it, pictured me spending the evening doing that in every module in which I am about to play this character and went stark raving mad. So, I decided to do this the only way I know about: stunningly badly.
    I saved the scripts, using a different name (for the file, not for me, although that sounds fun), then searched for that name on my PC, found the files in a 'temp' folder and copied them out, renamed them into the original, packed them into a .hak and used unserpatch.ini to force my game to load them.
    Quite thrilling.
    Post edited by Kanjiimufu on