Skip to content

Improving the Packages.2da system

EnigmaticatiousEnigmaticatious Member Posts: 1
edited July 2020 in Builders - Scripting
Hey guys,

I was wondering what the chances are for making some much needed improvements to the way the Packages.2da/pack*.2da files work in the engine.

I have some suggestions which I think would eliminate some of the existing issues around multi-classing and unwanted selections (ie multiple weapon focuses, skill focuses etc)
  1. PackFT/EQ/SK* - ReqFeat1/ReqFeat2 and OrReqFeat1/OrReqFeat2/OrReqFeat3 Columns

Allows you to specify additional feats already selected before selecting the item from the list
    Examples:
    • Allow you to alternate between taking epic ability scores by chaining them in the order you want
    • Only take ranks in the tumble skill if I have Dodge
    • Only give them the great axe if they have cleave (which may have only been chosen for its own conditional reasons)
  2. PackFT/EQ/SK* - ReqSkill1/ReqSkill2 and OrReqSkill1/OrReqSkill2/OrReqSkill3 Columns

Allows you to specify skills that you must already have selected before you can select this item from the list
    Examples:
    • Only give them lock picks if they have ranks in Open Locks
    • Only give them the skill focus feat if they have ranks in that skill
  3. PackFT/EQ/SK* - MinRank1/MinRank2 and OrMinRank1/OrMinRank2/OrMinRank3 Columns

In addition to the previous ReqSkill/OrReqSkill columns, this determines the minimum rank needed in that skill to qualify
    Examples:
    • Give them +1, +2 or +3 lock picks depending on whether they are rank 2, 3 or 4
    • Only give them the skill focus feat once they reach 20 ranks in that skill
    • Dont start taking taking ranks in one skill until the number of ranks in the other skill reaches the min rank (Good for stacking one before the other)
  4. PackFT/EQ/SK* - MinArcaneLevel/MinDivineLevel Columns

How many arcane or divine caster levels are required for this item to be selected from the list
    Examples:
    • Dont take the Quicken feat until they have 5 arcane caster levels
    • Only start taking Spellcraft skill ranks once they have 3 arcane caster levels
    • Only start taking Epic Intelligence once they are a high enough arcane caster
  5. PackFT/EQ/SK* - MinBab Column

Will only start selecting the items from the list when they meet the minimum attack bonus required
    Examples:
    • Dont start taking Weapon focus until you reach a BAB of +5
    • Dont start branching out to things like Expertise or Off-hand fighting until their BAB is +10
  6. PackFT/EQ/SK* - ReqClass1/ReqClass2 and OrReqClass1/OrReqClass2/OrReqClass3 Column

Allows you to limit the selection of the items from the list to those who have one of the required classes. Would work really well for specific packages that are designed to choose the right weapon for the character
    Examples:
    • Great Axes only chosen by barbarians
    • Rapiers only chosen by Rogues or Rangers
    • Quarterstaves only chosen by wizards
  7. PackFT/EQ/SK* - ReqClassLvl1/ReqClassLvl2 and OrReqClassLvl1/OrReqClassLvl2/OrReqClassLvl3 Column

Relating to the above, this indicates the minimum level required in the class in order to take this item from the list. This becomes really handy when dealing with packages designed for multi-class characters as it allows you to choose a different weapon depending on whether they have more levels in say fighter or rogue
    Examples:
    • Great Axes only chosen by barbarians with at least 3 levels
    • Rapiers only chosen by Rogues with 2 levels or Rangers with 1 level
    • Quarterstaves only chosen by wizards
  8. PackFT/EQ/SK* - OrReqRace1/OnReqRace2/OnReqRace3/OnReqRace4 Column

Only those characters who are one of the races indicated in these columns would be able to take the item in the list.
    Examples:
    • Elves or Half-elves are given a special elven item no-one else gets
    • Elves or Half-elves get the weapon focus for longbow/short bow to become arcane archers
    • Gnomes take magical focus on illusions
  9. PackFT/EQ/SK* - PerChance Column

Indicates a percentage chance of selecting this item in the list (all other conditions being met of course). Used in combination with the next column (Group), it allows for some beautiful possiblities
    Examples:
    • A set of items is assigned a group called "STARTING_GOLD", which go from 1000, 100, 10, 1 respectively with PerChance values of 20, 40, 60, 100. This means I have a 20% chance of getting 1000 gold, then a 40% chance of getting 100 etc, but I only get one
    • Allows you to randomly select between 3-4 different weapon focus feats
    • Allows you to take a rank in a particular skill only 50% of the time
  10. PackFT/EQ/SK* - Group Column

If an item from this list has already been selected that has the same group, then other items from that group will be skipped. This can come in handy when used with other columns such as the PerChance column above.
    Examples:
    • I assign Weapon Focus (Longsword) to require a fighter of level 1, Weapon Focus (Rapier) to require a rogue of level 3 and Weapon Focus (Shortsword) to require a ranger of level 4. I put all 3 of these in the same group with the text WEAPON_CHOICE. This allows me to specifically pick the right weapon based on the classes of the character that level up with this package
    • Prevents me from taking multiple spell school focuses by putting them all in a group called "SPELL_SCHOOL"
  11. PackFT/EQ/SK* - MinStr/MinDex/MinInt/MinWis/MinCon/MinCha Columns

The minimum ability score required for this to be selected. I know that there may already be pre-requisites for ability scores on some feats, but there are other reasons why I might want to set this.
    Examples:
    • I dont want them to go down the path to obtaining Whirlwind Attack if they dont have the required Dex of 13 and the Int of 13, so I will also mark Spring Attack, Expertise, Dodge and Mobility to all have both of the minimum values. There is no point getting any of these feats if they dont have both minimums
    • I only want spell casters who are of high Int, Cha, Wis to take specializations
    • I only want those with a high Int (and therefore know they have more skill points) to choose skill focuses

I think the addition of these fields as well as the filtering/checking of these values as part of levelling up player characters, as well as using them for the Levelling up of Henchmen would make the package system very powerful indeed
Post edited by Enigmaticatious on