Skip to content

Pick-pocket & spell writing game-play improvement suggestion

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I've got a suggestion for how the pick-pocketing and spell writing system could get a little over-haul.

- - -

At the moment, before each pick-pocket attempt I save the game and re-load it if the pick-pocket attempt fails. I feel like I'm being pressured into doing this because the consequences of your target turning hostile seem quite steep. However, I don't like re-loading the game because it feels like cheating. It would improve my game experience if I didn't feel I needed to do this.

Could the game be altered to work like this?:

On your first attempt, if you fail, you only loose 5 XP - and the target doesn't turn hostile.

On the second attempt, if you fail, they turn hostile.

This way, you wouldn't feel pressured to re-loaded because you know you'll get one attempt where the consequences of failing aren't too much. And from a role-playing point of view it's real because maybe on the first attempt the victim has doubts - enough to not to check their pocket to make sure they still have the item. Where-as on the second attempt they'd be more likely to actually check.

At least this way you get one shot. And, perhaps, this way players might feel they can have a go at pick-pocketing everyone.

- - -

Likewise, with memorising scrolls. I'm often tempted to just re-load if it's a spell I really want badly, because if it fails I loose the whole scroll.

Could it be done something like this?:

If you pass the spell writing roll the spell appears immediately in your spellbook as normal.

If you fail the roll it still appears in your spellbook but it's "blue". This indicates it's not available to use but is in state of being "worked on".

Another dice roll:

There's a 25% chance the spell will remain blue and never activate.

There's an 75% chance the spell will activate in d.20 days.

This might make the spellbook more interesting because it can contain things you're working on.

Also, at the end of the day, if you can't wait you can always find another example of the same scroll and pass the writing test - overwriting the "blue" one.

- - -

Anyway, that's just a couple of ideas. Might not be your cup of tea - and I know there's supposed to be official D&D rules, etc - but what do people think? (Be nice).