Skip to content

How to compile AI scripts for IWD:EE?

hqzhqz Member Posts: 4
The vanilla version of BG and IWD used to be shipped with a command-line script compiler, but I can't find it in the Steam version of IWD:EE. Is there a separate download for this?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    you can use near infinity to compile scripts for the EEs games if you wish

i dont know what the command-line script compiler was like, but i like how near infinity does it's scripts, with color codes, and you can search through .ids files and such to find more command lines and what not
  • hqzhqz Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I was hoping for a command-line version because I used to rely on some template processor to generate my script source files back in the days of vanilla IWD. And then I would use GNU Make in order to combine both tools and reprocess/recompile only when needed.

Overall it was probably too advanced a setup for just AI scripts. So I will start with a more simple setup with Near Infinity this time.

Thanks again.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    If you prefer a command line tool then you can use WeiDU for it. The general syntax is
    weidu [--out folder] myscript.baf

This will generate myscript.bcs in the folder specified by the --out option (or the same folder as the source file if omitted).

Btw, WeiDU (as well as Near Infinity) require an associated game to properly compile scripts. For WeiDU it should be enough to place the binary into the game folder or use the command line option --game to specify a game path manually.
    Oh it looks like WeiDU is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for this info.

While we're on the topic of scripting, I used to rely on gibberlings3 as the API documentation. There doesn't seem to be any specific entries for IWD:EE so I assume I should use the BG:EE ones instead? (or should I use the vanilla IWD1 ones instead?)

I must admit that it would really help if all EE games used the same scripting API. With the vanilla games I had to adapt my scripts to cover all games, hence the need for a templating tool in order to change some macros based on the game engine.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    All EE games are basically sharing the same engine, so you can safely assume that script commands working in BG:EE are working just as well in IWD:EE. Only exception may be PST:EE which offers a number of additional features.
    That's great news. Thanks again.