Skip to content

When you level up.

Hello, when you are ready to click the level up button, using a plus int or strengh potion, does it help you to get more stats, such as the number of skill you are learning, or are the stats you get per each level fixed to a certain amount?

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Your stats (attributes) never go up without magical tomes or other in-game bonuses (Tears of Bhaal, Lum's Machine, Deck of Many Things). Level bonuses are fixed. Even the cleric/druid bonus spells for high wisdom will not stick around after a rest if you used a wisdom potion.
    K1ll3r
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited August 2020
    K1ll3r wrote: »
    Hello, when you are ready to click the level up button, using a plus int or strengh potion, does it help you to get more stats, such as the number of skill you are learning, or are the stats you get per each level fixed to a certain amount?
    The amount of level up stats are predetermined. Potions or anything else will not help with getting better stats at level up.

• K1ll3rK1ll3r Member Posts: 2
    My engl isn't good anymore. I mean, when you level up you get extra slots in the magic book. Do you have more chances to get extra slots if you drink int potion before levelling? The same for priests. Also, if I make a F/M/T as CHARNAME, what quest do I get in BG2?
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    You don't get extra slots by drinking potions.
    BlackbɨrdK1ll3r
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    You don't get extra anything by drinking potions before leveling up, as far as I know.
    BlackbɨrdK1ll3r
  • VanDerBergVanDerBerg Member Posts: 217
    edited August 2020
    Intelligence doesn't influence how many spells you can memorise, just how many you can have in your spell book.

Some things are influenced by stats, but this is independent of levelling. For example, constitution influences HP, but your base HP is fixed for your class and the bonus is added when you have stat high enough. So, improving constitution from 15 to 16 will grant you 1 extra HP per level (I think) while your constitution stays at 16 (be it permanent increase from tomes or whatever or temporary via potions or draw upon holy might). This is completely independent from levelling.

In theory, drinking a potion of insight would raise your wisdom to 18, if it was lower, and you would be able to memorise more priest spells. But since you have to rest to actually memorise them, and the potion lasts for less than 8 hours, you would lose them the moment you wake up, so you would get nothing.
    Balrog99K1ll3r
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    What stats do in the BG series:

Strength: Bonuses to hit and to damage for melee attacks, carrying capacity. It's always the strength at the moment that matters, so what it was when you leveled up is irrelevant.

Dexterity: Bonuses to hit with ranged attacks and to AC, bonuses to thief skills. Again, it's your dexterity at the moment that matters. You invest points into those thief skills at level-up, and when you go to use them the dexterity and racial modifiers are applied.

Constitution: Bonuses to hit points, slow regeneration at extremely high values, better saves for short races. The game tracks base HP and Con bonuses separately, updating the latter every time Con changes. Only the shorty saves care about values at level-up; they use base Con before any temporary modifiers, updated at level-up.

Intelligence: Spell learning chances for mages and bards, lore. Your intelligence at the time you try to add a spell to your spellbook or identify an item is what matters. None of this is level-dependent at all.

Wisdom: Bonus spell slots for clerics and druids, lore. You can memorize extra priest spells if you boost your wisdom before resting ... and then forget them when you wake, because the potion wore off. Leveling has nothing to do with any of it.

Charisma: Reaction modifiers when interacting with NPCs, store prices. Nothing level-dependent at all.
    K1ll3r
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    VanDerBerg wrote: »
    Intelligence doesn't influence how many spells you can memorise, just how many you can have in your spell book.

Some things are influenced by stats, but this is independent of levelling. For example, constitution influences HP, but your base HP is fixed for your class and the bonus is added when you have stat high enough. So, improving constitution from 15 to 16 will grant you 1 extra HP per level (I think) while your constitution stays at 16 (be it permanent increase from tomes or whatever or temporary via potions or draw upon holy might). This is completely independent from levelling.

In theory, drinking a potion of insight would raise your wisdom to 18, if it was lower, and you would be able to memorise more priest spells. But since you have to rest to actually memorise them, and the potion lasts for less than 8 hours, you would lose them the moment you wake up, so you would get nothing.

Interestingly, there is at least one thing that using a potion can help - mages. If your mage's INT isn't high enough to fill out their spellbook, using a potion can bypass that. Once the spells are in the spellbook, it doesn't matter if the INT then goes back down. I was able to get Aerie and Imoen's spellbook filled out towards the end of ToB using potions.
    Balrog99K1ll3r