Skip to content

Is there any way to temporarily block the game from updating to 2.6 from 2.5 on Steam?

enhancedgamerxenhancedgamerx Member Posts: 90
edited August 2020 in The Road to 2.6
Without actually disconnecting myself from the Internet, that is. I'm in the midst of a really dope BG1:EE+SOD run on 2.5 and would hate to run into compatibility problems in the case 2.6 drops before I'm able to finish it. I can't see any options in Steam to do this. It only gives me the option to block updates when actually playing the game, so I'm assuming that when I exit the game, it will instantly begin installing the newest updates again. Or is there perhaps a possibility that Beamdog could supply us with a feature within the game to convert the save files to conform to the newest game client to avoid version conflict bugs?

Comments

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Saves from an older version are usually compatible with newer updates of the game if you're playing without mods.

However, if you want to be on the safe side or if you play with mods and don't want the update to break them, simply make a copy of the game directory from your Steam folder to somewhere else, and then run the game directly from the game's .exe file. That way, you'll still be able to play with the 2.5 version even if the game in the Steam directory gets updated to 2.6.
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 108
    edited August 2020
    Using Windows 10, I've gotten around this for other games by doing the following: in your Steam Library, right click the game and select Properties. In the pop-up, select Local Files and then Browse Local Files. This will open the local files (duh). There should be an exe file you can run to open the game. It's not the most user-friendly solution, but I'm thisclose to finishing Pathfinder Kingmaker, and this has worked for me now that there's a new patch out.

edit: I forgot to mention that in the game Properties pop-up, I have my game set to "Only update this game when I launch it" (this setting is under Updates).
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    In general, for all the BG games, the safest thing to do is to keep the Steam installation up to date and unmodded, and whenever you start a new campaign, copy the original installation to a second folder, and mod the copied installation. That way, you don't need to redownload if you screw up your mods, or want to try a different combination, and you never have to worry about updates overwriting your current game.
  • enhancedgamerxenhancedgamerx Member Posts: 90
    Saves from an older version are usually compatible with newer updates of the game if you're playing without mods.

However, if you want to be on the safe side or if you play with mods and don't want the update to break them, simply make a copy of the game directory from your Steam folder to somewhere else, and then run the game directly from the game's .exe file. That way, you'll still be able to play with the 2.5 version even if the game in the Steam directory gets updated to 2.6.

Nah, I'm not running any mods on my current playthrough.

For some reason I always thought there'd be some kind Steam DRM blocking me from copying the installation folder and running the game outside Steam, to prevent piracy. Am I a raving loonatic or is this not the case, atleast in some games? Or is it up to the game developers?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited April 2022

Nah, I'm not running any mods on my current playthrough.

For some reason I always thought there'd be some kind Steam DRM blocking me from copying the installation folder and running the game outside Steam, to prevent piracy. Am I a raving loonatic or is this not the case, atleast in some games? Or is it up to the game developers?

That's true for some games, not true for others.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    Even for games that rely on Steam DRM, you can usually run them from a second directory as well. They'll still fire up Steam to play.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Thels wrote: »
    Even for games that rely on Steam DRM, you can usually run them from a second directory as well. They'll still fire up Steam to play.

But that still means the game cannot beplayed outside steam. Which was the point of the comment.
    It's outside the default installation folder, so it won't receive updates.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    I managed to keep running 1.3 by unironically copy pasting the entire game folder out and in a while ago and apparently Steam doesn't mind. Big brain move.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    copy and paste the game folder onto the desktop. thats what i do when i don't want an update messing with my modded game.