Skip to content

What does Double Damage mean?

Daystar deals "double damage" on undead, the dragonslayer sword does this on dragons.

What does that really mean? Is the damage die doubled? Bonus from proficiency / strength? How about the bonus vs evil on Daystar, is that part multiplied?

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,835
    It means the weapon has an effect that deals additional damage to that creature type, equal to the weapon's base damage. In Daystar's case, this extra damage is typed as magic, rather than the sword's slashing.

Additional damage not on the weapon itself, such as strength, proficiency, or kit bonuses, is not doubled.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    There are still a few details I am not sure about. Say I am hitting an evil undead with Daystar, with no bonus or penalty from proficiency or strength. How does the formula work precisely?

Standard damage for longsword: 1d8
    Enchantment: +2
    Bonus vs Evil: +4 (in addition to the +2, or does the +4 replace it?)
    Total: 1d8 + 6 ? Or 1d8 + 4?
    Doubled total: 2d8 + 12 ? Or 2d8 + 8, or something else?
    Daystar vs various types (in BG2EE):
    - Non-evil, non-undead: 1d8+2 base slashing damage, +2 attack, hits as +2.
    - Evil, non-undead: 1d8+2 base slashing damage plus 2 magic damage, +4 attack, hits as +4.
    - Non-evil undead: 1d8+2 base slashing damage plus 1d8+2 magic damage, +2 attack, hits as +2.
    - Evil undead: 1d8+2 base slashing damage plus 2 magic damage and another 1d8+2 magic damage, +4 attack, hits as +4.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2020
    Awesome, thanks. Doubling the variable part looks pretty good with a kensai.

Also great to know that this hits as a +4 on nearly all monsters. :) I might use it more often.
    If you're thinking of the kensai's ability to maximize damage ... irrelevant. That applies only to the weapon's base damage, not to any on-hit effects. With that ability active, you'll still be doing variable amounts of magic damage to undead.