Skip to content

Blurry text

Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
edited November 2012 in Fixed
I've already seen people complaining about it, but couldn't find a bug report yet, so here it is:

Behaviour:

- game text in the dialogue screen, both dialogue and combat feedback, looks blurry and is therefore hard to read
- game text in the journal is blurry and therefore hard to read,
- extra info: if a new journal page is opened, the letters quickly fade from thin and relatively crisp to thick and blurry

on character screen
--> right box with info on character level etc. is blurry as well,
--> armour class and hit points: crisp,
--> to hit and weapon boxes: blurry

on inventory screen:
-->armour and hit point boxes: crisp,
-->to hit and weapon boxes: blurry

note the opposite behaviour in character and inventory screen

very crisp are the names of the attributes strength-charisma

At first start I thought I didn't like the font, but looking at it again it seems like the problem is the boundary of the characters on the dialogue and journal pages aren't well-defined.

Expected behaviour:
- for the text in dialogue screen and journal to look just as 'crisp' as the words for the attributes

Steps taken to make the bugs disappear:

- opening the game,
- playing on the game screen immediately shows the dialogue box blurriness
- opening the inventory and character screen immediately show the blurriness as well

Bug appeared on two separate systems, with similar setups however:
on a desktop with Windows 7 x64, core i3-2120 @ 3,3 GHz, AMD Radeon HD 6670 card,
on a laptop with Windows 7 x64, core i3-370M @ 2,6 GHz, AMD Radeon HD 5470 card.

I got a second laptop with Intel HD that I can test as well and will report back.
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    On my second laptop (Windows 7 x64, Intel B970 processor with 2,3GHz and Intel HD) all text is crisp.

There's more severe bugs there however: fast flickering in the menu screen corresponding with no selection circles in-game (I've read somewhere on this forum someone found out those two are interrelated) - but that's for another report.

Anyone found out any fixes yet for blurry text with AMD cards?
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited November 2012
    If possible when reporting graphical issues, please post screenshots demonstrating the problem.

Some users have reported that disabling FXAA (or perhaps other anti-aliasing) in the driver have fixed this issue.
    edited November 2012
    In the Catalyst Control Centre (AMD's driver settings) there's no setting for NO anti-aliasing!? AMD Wtf? The minimum you can chose is 2X. I tried fumbling about with the settings, but couldn't find anything that helped.

Tomorrow I'll make some screenshots and upload them to Photobucket, so I can put an imagelink here (I hope I'll remember to do so, right now too sick and tired from the flu).
  • ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    I've uploaded two topic related photos. Open them in full size to see the difference.

Example of a blurry journal page:

Example of a sharp journal page (as it should be):
    edited November 2012
    I couldn't reproduce the crisp text on my Intel HD laptop, maybe because I still got to put in my contactlenses today, but here's the screenshots from my AMD-driven desktop:

Baldur's Gate character screen blurry text bug

Baldur's Gate inventory screen blurry text bug

note: Photobucket won't allow me to upload keeping the original size, 1600x900 unless I get a paid account.
  • lurimaxlurimax Member Posts: 28

In the Catalyst Control Centre (AMD's driver settings) there's no setting for NO anti-aliasing!? AMD Wtf? The minimum you can chose is 2X. I tried fumbling about with the settings, but couldn't find anything that helped.

Tomorrow I'll make some screenshots and upload them to Photobucket, so I can put an imagelink here (I hope I'll remember to do so, right now too sick and tired from the flu).

To turn off AA, just check the box that says "use application settings", or something similar

• xxxsmb1987xxxxxxsmb1987xxx Member Posts: 280
    I fixed that issue by turning off all the graphics options in my Nvidia control panel =)
    edited November 2012
    lurimax said:

To turn off AA, just check the box that says "use application settings", or something similar

I did try that yesterday, but to no effect. If I'm feeling a bit better tomorrow, I'll intend to try all the settings one at a time and I'll report the progress here.

• ShnizmuffiNShnizmuffiN Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2012
    Blurry text in the Journal, but not in the "Quests" or "Done Quests" sections, which gets worse as the screen resolution increases.

I made a side-by-side graphic to illustrate:

edited December 2012
    The journal using a blurry font is a known bug. If ALL your fonts are blurry, this is usually caused by FXAA being enabled in the video driver.
    edited December 2012
    As I mentioned, there's no 'FXAA' setting in the AMD Catalyst driver settings, but here's what got the best results for me:

Anti-Aliasing: Use application settings (default)

Anisotropic filtering: Use application settings (default)

Morphological filtering: changed to Disabled

Tesselation: AMD Optimized (default)

Texture filtering Quality: changed to High quality

Surface format optimimazation: changed to Disabled

Wait for vertical refresh: Off, unless application specifies

Anti-Aliasing mode: changed to Super-sample AA

OpenGL settings: changed to Triple buffering: Enabled

I couldn't get the journal get crispier, but these settings did help to make the dialogue screen, the character screen and the inventory screen less blurry. Changes are slight, but it IS easier on the eyes the way I redid the settings as mentioned above.
  • ShnizmuffiNShnizmuffiN Member Posts: 16
    @zeckul / @Son_of_Imoen

My blurry fonts are on an nVidia chipset, and only occur on some sections of the journal. (btw.)
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @Scofield @ShnizmuffiN

I have the same blur on my journal text, item description text and spell description text, but my combat log / dialogue is crisp. How did you take the 'crisp' picture Scofield? I'm using AMD cat 12.8's with a HD 6950 and all options set to use application mode when available.

For your AMD people, how are you setting your Tesselation, Catalyst AI, OpenGL triple buffering and "Enable Surface Format Optimization"?

• ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    @agris Well, I took those pictures with the same settings, I haven't change anything. That's part of my problem that one part of my Journal is crisp while the other one is blurry. I don't really know why.

Btw, I have an AMD (Ati) card as well. In the catalyst control center, everything is set to default except for Mipmap Detail Level which is set to "high quality". This is a general setting, it has nothing to do with BGEE. Tessellation is "AMD optimized" by default. I am using RadeonPro to set individual game profiles for each game. For BGEE the only option I have enabled in RadeonPro is the forced VSync to get rid of the terrible screen tearing. It works flawlessly.

The blurry fonts in the Journal is a known issue as far as I know, and is due to the upscaling. Hopefully we'll get a solution in one of the future patches.
    Scofield said:

The blurry fonts in the Journal is a known issue as far as I know, and is due to the upscaling.

The blurry font in the Journal is just due to using a blurry font. It's reported as a bug and there's nothing to do about it except waiting for a fix.

• agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Every patch has been making this better, now the only blurry text I get is on journal entry headings specifically. Overhaul and @TrentOster are doing a kick ass job at listening to feedback and fixing shit asap.
    Just hopping in to give kudo's to Overhaul for the great improvements made in the latest patches. Journal and dialogue box look really crisp now!

Thanks.

Slight improvement could still be made on character Record screen, but it's the least important of all.
  • LoneWolfDonLoneWolfDon Member Posts: 25
    Hi guys. I had the same problem with the blurry-text.
    But, via my nVidia control-panel, and setting up a profile for the Baldur.exe file, I found that by disabling FXAA it looks so far like this has fixed this problem for me. Cheers!

PS: Thanks to Zeckul for the tip.