Skip to content

Modding Help/Mod Request

So, here is my question... Is there a mod that changes spears into 1 handed weapons? In history it seems to me they share a similar role as that of the hand and a half sword (Bastard Sword) and could be used either 1 or 2 handed. Spearmen are often depicted with a spear in one hand and a shield in the other. If there is a mod I would be thankful if someone could direct me to where it can be downloaded and if not then I hope someone with modding experience would consider making this mod. I know it is just a pet peeve of mine, but surely there must be other people that wonder just why in the heck a spear (a weapon that only deals 1-6 damage) can't be used 1 handed (thrusted/piercing damage) with a shield. When spears are used 2 handed they I should think would be considered slashing damage in that case, but I know the game does not support the kind of versatility that would require having a player choose whether a weapon like this is being used 1 handed or 2 handed (piercing or slashing damage) to fit the situation.

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    I don't know of a mod that does this for spears, but I do know of some mods that allow other weapons to switch between one-handed and two-handed mode. This is done by giving the weapons an ability that transforms them into another item - which can then have substantially different properties between the two forms.
  • Kookies4LaifKookies4Laif Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2020
    You can also accomplish such things with Nearinfinity. An editing tool for the series.

Tried it just now actually, made a one handed spear and put it on with a buckler as well. It worked. Got the AC bonus and appearance of wielding a spear and buckler. It should work with the fighting styles too. One handed, shield and weapon.

edit: You can also make it do piercing/slashing damage, though it picks only the most effective at the moment and goes with that I think. Like if slashing is more effective than piercing, it'll do slashing damage and vice versa.

Though you could edit it so it does both too, I believe. Maybe 1d3 slash, and 1d3 piercing as an example.
  • darkphoenix77darkphoenix77 Member Posts: 10
    You can also accomplish such things with Nearinfinity. An editing tool for the series.

Tried it just now actually, made a one handed spear and put it on with a buckler as well. It worked. Got the AC bonus and appearance of wielding a spear and buckler. It should work with the fighting styles too. One handed, shield and weapon.

edit: You can also make it do piercing/slashing damage, though it picks only the most effective at the moment and goes with that I think. Like if slashing is more effective than piercing, it'll do slashing damage and vice versa.

Though you could edit it so it does both too, I believe. Maybe 1d3 slash, and 1d3 piercing as an example.

Thanks, I will look into this, now to see if I can find an answer to my next mod question/idea....weather....surely it must be possible to lower the amount of storms in game because I swear the amount of thunderstorms is ridiculously high. The Baldur's Gate area I swear gets more rain and thunderstorms than the Amazon jungle or the Everglades. Not so fun when having a character get struck by lightning twice in the span of maybe 1-2 turns in game killing them instantly. Also pretty unrealistic.....the odds of that happening in real life are almost nil.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    I believe there is a tweak that disables NPC damage during thunderstorms. Alternately, you can disable weather in settings.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/31891/remove-random-lightningstrike-during-bad-weather
  • Kookies4LaifKookies4Laif Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2020
    Thanks, I will look into this...

No problem, if you need any help using Nearinfinity just ask. It really is a nice tool, allowed me to edit in a Drow. With a day/night penalty system like in Icewind Dale II. Oh, and a Darkness spell to boot! Like NWN. Or PnP rules.

And speaking of spears one of my toons focuses on javelins, or throwing spears, as an actually viable weapon choice because of the ability to edit in weapons too. It's kind of neat to have that option when playing the series, editing in your ideas into the game while trying to balance everything out too. =)

edit: It isn't so hard either, I'm pretty much a big dummy with with this kind of stuff, and I figured it out.

edit 2: Just checked and the area files have weather probabilities you can mess around with using Nearinfinity.

Post edited by Kookies4Laif on
  • darkphoenix77darkphoenix77 Member Posts: 10
    Awesome....thanks for the replies will def look into it