Skip to content

Frankly im a little disapointed (with the communication mostly) - graphics issues / launch / forum

Firstly the support for the game on Intel graphics chips

- A little communication before the release would have been nice
- As this doesn't work on the hardware i have to hand

Launch issues

- Not being able to run the game till well after the release, i spent the effort to pre load it.
finally (didn't worked) 3 hours after the release. - minus the fact that it didn't because of Intel issues

Forum

-The design makes it difficult to discern between user and staff posts maybe you could give them different background to emphasize this. so you can decide what is opinion and what is fact

- forum down time

And What was the little extra thing i was supposed to get for pre ordering and having date moved back?

Comments

• WelborneWelborne Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2012
    I feel you, chief, but give it a few days. Nothing is perfect at release.

From my (lurking) experience since BGEE was announced, folks have been very responsive. The community fuels revision through constructive feedback and the suggestion of solutions- not by turning forums into an echo chamber of complaints about problems with which we're all familiar.

TLDR = this too shall pass.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @Welborne Feel? I think you mean I, not I'll my good friend.
  • P6345ukP6345uk Member Posts: 8
    Ha Ha @Welborne
  • WelborneWelborne Member Posts: 4
    Who knows... maybe I'm frisky today. ;)
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    The extra thing for preordering before the delay was announced to be a future free DLC, possibly more than one. There was a dev post about it a few days ago but I don't remember the thread.
    edited November 2012
    thanks @kilroy_was_here
    But that seems to be the problem this forum can be difficult to find what you actually want

The key is in the title "with the communication mostly"

I understand there will be issues. I'm just a little disappointed that i wasn't told about them before time.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I think the Dev's are busy fixing stuff, so you're not going to get lots of direct communication.

My biggest question is how patches work. Does the launcher somehow 'know' when updates exist? I mean, I think there will be tweaks and fixes over the first couple of weeks, but I don't know how I'll get them.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited November 2012

I think the Dev's are busy fixing stuff, so you're not going to get lots of direct communication.

My biggest question is how patches work. Does the launcher somehow 'know' when updates exist? I mean, I think there will be tweaks and fixes over the first couple of weeks, but I don't know how I'll get them.

The launcher is checking for updates each time you start it, also I believe that they will post in the forum if they will release something like they did until now ( for example the message to update the launcher )
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    Eh, if they had known about the intel hardware issues, they would have probably fixed it before release. If they didn't communicate about it, it's probably because they didn't even know it was a problem.
    By the way, baldur's gate runs perfectly fine on my intel HD 3000, so it's perfectly possible the devs tested *some* intel hardware and didn't notice any problems. It's impossible to test the game on every hardware combination.

All in all, I think communication is the only thing that went well since release.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    ^Agreement!

Please compare BG:EE communication with Microsoft, OpenGL, and Intel communication:

Microsoft: "Pay us $35 per call and we *might* fix your problem!"
    Intel: "You need assistance with compatibility issues? LOL play DirectX games, KTHXBAI"
    OpenGL: *crickets*

Thanks to the abundance of suggestions from both devs and users on this forum, I was able to get my game working. For the past week I had been prepared for just this kind of situation, and worse. Look through the forums and try some of the temporary fixes.

If nothing on the forums works, then take a deep breath and take a break. Help is on the way. This kind of thing cannot and should not be rushed.
    @MedullaOblongata

Tried all the fixes i can find. no luck.

Only a little disappointed. (mainly because release was pushed back)
    I'm just a little cranky because, I haven't had my gaming fix.
    I'm sorry, @P6345uk :(

I suggest playing something else for the time being until Overhaul fixes it... Hang in there, help is on the way!
    @MedullaOblongata

For some reason when you said
    "hang in there" i think of Marge Simpson and the cat hanging on washing line.
    when her pretzel business is failing.

and now I'm you-tubing Simpson clips
    Youtube "Minecraft Simpsons" for lulz. Also, check out the "just for laughs" series... They get really crazy, especially with the car stuff :P
  • EvinfuiltEvinfuilt Member Posts: 505
    Remember, at least you could pre-order and download it. I have to wait for Apple to approve it for my fix (which will still be light years quicker than the original BG Mac version.)
  • RavenXRavenX Member Posts: 86
    I hear you brother, I do, but honestly I gotta say the release/launch actually went pretty smooth. Yes, there was a server issue for almost all of us for the first hour or so. That's Nothing compared to the Completely Botched Diablo3 launch, or any other Blizzard MMO for that matter. When it comes to messed up launches the issues we had last night/yesterday were nothing really.

I agree with you on the forum staff needing to be better identified though, as well as maybe some more communication (that doesn't come second hand from Twitter *Twitster*). I can't comment on hardware because I'm not sure how many it effects but hopefully they get that smoothed out soon.
    @RavenX I remember the Diablo3 release. 'Wait, how am I having server-side lag? I'm playing a solo game.'

...at least I thought I was. Haven't played it since a week after it came out. I got an email from Blizzard a while ago saying my account may have been hacked. My account... that I need to log in to... to access a server... for a game I only ever intended to play solo.
  • RavenXRavenX Member Posts: 86
    Um... @kilroy_was_here that quote there, that's not me my friend. I mentioned D3 but that wasn't what I said as above. I think it misquoted or maybe you tried to dual quote?
  • TkrauTkrau Member Posts: 8
    I feel so left out of it all - almost four hours into the game and, so far at least, I've had...

- no issues with the final download yesterday (but it did take two tries to get the 1st update to work)
    - no weirdo graphics issues (but I'm not trying to run it on a mid-lvl laptop either)
    - no bug-induced CTDs
    - nothing at all to whine, bitch, snivel, moan, or complain about...just a few hours of solid game enjoyment. Pity me.
    @RavenX you just reminded me of Diablo3, that's all...
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

The extra thing for preordering before the delay was announced to be a future free DLC, possibly more than one. There was a dev post about it a few days ago but I don't remember the thread.

I preordered, but later. Do I get it as well? Will I be able to purchase it if not do u think?
    finally got it working
    Downgraded video card drivers
    Changed permission on internal launcher - put in vista sp2 compatibility mode
    added window mode to .ini file
    plugged my laptop in mains as a power option interfered with graphics options
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602

I preordered, but later. Do I get it as well? Will I be able to purchase it if not do u think?
    Everyone will get it.