Skip to content

Mage/Fighter only getting Fighter HLAs?

I have a dual class human that is Level 17 Fighter and level 16 Mage. He has plenty of HLAs but they are only from Fighter.

Is this correct or a bug?

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    Correct. Multi-class characters have access to HLAs from both classes, but dual class characters do not (other than the occasional special purpose build that gains over 3m in its first class before dualling).
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    A bug? You shouldn't have any HLAs yet. A dual-class character only gets HLAs when their currently active class crosses the threshold - 18 for a mage, 20 for a fighter. And, as already noted, it's only the HLAs that the currently active class gets. One of the costs of a high-level dual like this is that it substantially reduces the total number of HLAs you get.
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    fncruz wrote: »
    dual class human that is Level 17 Fighter and level 16 Mage

*speechless*

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    perhaps some sort of mod is being involved and the OP is actually a multi-class fighter/mage human? which would explain why they have fighter HLAs

for multi class mages, the only HLAs you get before you mage level hits level 18 is the extra level 6,7,8 spell slots, then the rest are level "10" spells which you wouldn't be able to memorize anyway, hence the reason why you can't learn those HLA spells until your mage level hits level 18
  • fncruzfncruz Member Posts: 28
    fncruz wrote: »
    dual class human that is Level 17 Fighter and level 16 Mage

*speechless*

I meant MULTI class.
    All right. The rule that applies here ... spell HLAs are not available until you have spell slots at the highest level. A fighter/mage/cleric can't take priest spell HLAs until they reach cleric 14 and get 7th level slots (4.05 million total XP). A mage/any multiclass can't take mage spell HLAs until they reach mage level 18 and get 9th level slots (6 million total XP). A triple-class F/M/C or F/M/T can't take mage spell HLAs until 9 million total XP; this is over the cap, so the vanilla game removes them from the HLA list entirely.

In your case, you're not a level 18 mage yet, so the only high-level abilities you can take are the extra level 6/7/8 spell slots and the fighter abilities.

Incidentally, the extra spell slots don't require you to have a slot of that level already. You can't use them until you get at least one natural spell slot of that level, but a triple-class could theoretically take all three extra spell slots before even getting access to 7th level spells.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    I'm a bit confused here. I didn't think you were offered HLAs until you hit a certain level in a class?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Maurvir wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused here. I didn't think you were offered HLAs until you hit a certain level in a class?

If you're a multi-class you start getting HLA's after 3 million XP, regardless of level.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Maurvir wrote: »

If you're a multi-class you start getting HLA's after 3 million XP, regardless of level.

Even better, its the experience of all classes combined for a multiclass. Multiclass characters get a bunch of HLAs.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Interesting - I haven't finished the game with a multi-class character yet. I find it fascinating that you could get an HLA that you literally can't use because you haven't reached the necessary level yet.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Its because HLAs are based on amount of exerience, and not the level you've reached. It works perfectly fine for a single class, but multiclasses wonky-fy the calculation a bit.
  • ShravanPShravanP Member Posts: 8
    Yeah mages really feel the pain of multiclassing later into the game as they lose out on the level progression that a pure or a dualed mage would enjoy. As all of their HLAs are Level 9 spells, it's not possible to select them prior to level 18.

That said, SCS has a component that converts mage and priest HLAs to innate abilities that can only be taken once. I'm not sure if this tweak allows a multiclassed mage to take HLAs before mage level 18.
    No, it doesn't. That component loosens the crunch on how many top-level slots you get, but it doesn't get you the spells any earlier.