Skip to content

Bug when doing the cult of the eyeless quest? (cannot talk to the priest after killing Unseeing eye

ensbanaensbana Member Posts: 80
Somehow I received the quest from the priest (Dawnmaster Kreel) in the Lathander temple, even though I’m not a cleric. I did everything as expected: talking to people in the cult’s area, talking to the diseased ones, to the Avatar, killing Unseeing Eye, returning the rod, killing remaining members of the cult.

But when I went back the the temple and tried to talk to Kreel the dialogue says he had nothing to say to me. What’s even weirder is that he was outside the temple, but when I went inside I also saw him there. Could this be a bug? Is there anything I can do?
Post edited by ensbana on

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    For starters, the quest is available to everyone. It just leads into the cleric stronghold, its not actually part of the stronghold itself.

As for the bug, yes its a bug. There's a glitch where the priest will sometimes not leave the outside map after the cutscene. Usually it prevents you from saving in the temple district. I can typically get him to leave by parking near him and either trying to initiate conversation once and/or waiting for him to leave while in line of sight.

If this doesn't work, you'll probably need to fix/force the script with the console, but I don't know what commands, sorry.

OH potential simple solution. Do you have the depleted rift device in your inventory? Or did you return it to the forgotten temple? This part can be easily forgotten sometimes.
    Rik_Kirtaniya
  • SixOfSpadesSixOfSpades Member Posts: 44
    Every party can do the quest, yes, but it's usually given by High Watcher Oisig (of Helm), not Dawnmaster Kreel (of Lathander). OP also specified that he did return the rod, although whether he did or not shouldn't affect the quest completion on the surface world.

The problem is most likely the game thinking the PC is a Cleric, and then "forgetting" that idea. Do you have the All-Strongholds mod installed?
  • vishvish Member Posts: 49
    I had a similar bug in my last playthrough. Started like normal Oisig giving me the quest. But I basically ended up killing everything, returning the rod, etc etc, and nothing. I found I hadn't talked to the dude in the Lich's tomb area, Sassar. So maybe try that and everything will catch up to where you are.
  • whalewerewhalewere Member Posts: 14
    edited September 2020
    I poked around in the files for a bit. Just to get one thing out of the way, it should be Arval, not Kreel who is responsible for the quest, so are you sure you talked to the right person?

Edit: you might also be able to spawn Oisig via console. Before heading to Helm's temple, type something like
    CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("CDSpawnOisig","GLOBAL",1)
    CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("CDWorkingForLathander","GLOBAL",0)

and the temple of Helm area script should do the rest. Near as I can tell he should behave as you have accepted his quest.
    Post edited by whalewere on
  • ensbanaensbana Member Posts: 80
    Hey I’ve realized what’s wrong. I had Aerie in my party when I received the quest, but not when I tried to talk with the priest again. Swapping her in and letting her do the talking completed the quest.

Thanks for everyone’s comments though.
    ensbana wrote: »
    Hey I’ve realized what’s wrong. I had Aerie in my party when I received the quest, but not when I tried to talk with the priest again. Swapping her in and letting her do the talking completed the quest.

Thanks for everyone’s comments though.

Wat, that makes no sense. Your game is cursed.
    Every party can do the quest, yes, but it's usually given by High Watcher Oisig (of Helm), not Dawnmaster Kreel (of Lathander). OP also specified that he did return the rod, although whether he did or not shouldn't affect the quest completion on the surface world.

The problem is most likely the game thinking the PC is a Cleric, and then "forgetting" that idea. Do you have the All-Strongholds mod installed?

Isn't the church that approaches you based on alignment?
    Rik_Kirtaniya
  • ensbanaensbana Member Posts: 80
    Maybe it’s a mod lmao
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ensbana wrote: »
    Maybe it’s a mod lmao

if you have any installed then it probably was
    ThacoBell
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    There should be a truism coined "Don't blame the vanilla game for bugs if you have mods installed". It's not that they don't exist, but rather that mods muddy the water something fierce.
    ThacoBell
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Isn't the church that approaches you based on alignment?
    Without mods ... non-cleric protagonists always work with the Helm church. Clerics work with the church that matches their kit, or their alignment if they're not a priest of Lathander, Helm, or Talos.
    SixOfSpadesThacoBell
    @jmerry Oh okay. I play with a lot of mods and I sometimes forget vanilla behaviour.
    Maurvir wrote: »
    There should be a truism coined "Don't blame the vanilla game for bugs if you have mods installed". It's not that they don't exist, but rather that mods muddy the water something fierce.

Oh absolutely. 9 times out of 10, bugs during a modded install are due to mods.

@ensbana By chance do you have the "Strongholds for NPCs" mod isntalled? I did a bit of thinking, and it sounds like that may be the culprit.
    Rik_Kirtaniya