Skip to content

Can "reinstalling" cause mod failures?

MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,093
I attempted to use my weidu log to "auto-reinstall" all of my mods after realizing I had goofed on the order. While the game ran, I was missing several mods. Both Sirene and Isra, but possibly others, as I figured out the install was gacked pretty quickly.

I manually installed everything up to CD Tweaks and SCS, then copied the lines for those to make the install go a bit easier (either R or N). Except I missed one and had to restart CD Tweaks, go to the appropriate section, and fix it. This caused it to uninstall/reinstall everything in that section. I'm guessing that *should* be fine, but I'm wary at this point.

I'm tempted to blow it back out and start from square one, but SCS takes FOREVER to install, even on my main PC.

Comments

• SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,072
    It depends if there was a dependency that got uninstalled, which a mod might have needed when re-installing.

I never have more than ten mods active, despite being a modder myself, so the worst bugs I have seen are the typical duplicate spawn bug and if I really screwed up, strings occurring in the wrong place.

I find uninstalling everything, rather than re-installing, and then clearing the over-ride folder, can be a remedy for a better reinstall technique. It's time consuming, but it can be worthwhile.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,093
    Yeah... I kind of figured that was the answer. I really don't want to find out the install is gacked after getting to chapter 2 again, so I will do just that.

As for the mod count, I love all the new areas in the game. I miss that from BG1, and even though they aren't giant forests, it still makes the world feel larger and more alive. Then, there are the NPCs. I have played so many games with the stock NPCs that I want to try out some of the mod created ones. They usually feel more fleshed out than the stock ones.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    If you use a launcher (steam, galaxy, etc.) you can just click "verify game files", and it will auto wipe mods from the game folder, delete altered files, and re-download needed replacement files. I run about 20ish mods and it takes like 5 min. Fresh clean install.

Another option is to have two copies of the game and just wipe the modded install and copy the clean one over.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,093
    Oh, I have a whole separate "modding" folder in a VM just for updating/installing mods. The entire game folder for both BG1 and BG2 are setup so that I can literally just delete the (MOD) folder, copy the (CLEAN) folder to create a new (MOD) folder, and then copy the mods I want back in for install. I even got a bit brighter and started staging the mods in a third folder, so refreshing is even simpler.

When it is time to actually "do the install", it's a fairly straightforward matter of copying the new dialog.tlk files over the old ones on the tablet, nuking the existing override folder, and then copying a fresh ZIP to the tablet - which I extract locally. (It is WAY faster than trying to upload over 1k files individually)

At this point, I have updating mods down to a science. It just takes a long time actually do the install, especially for CD Tweaks and SCS.