Skip to content

Full Plate and Packing Steel

CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
edited September 2020 in BGII:EE Mods
Does anyone know if FP&PS works with BGEE? It appears from the description to be BG2/SoA-Tob and Tutu focused. It doesn't say anything about EE either for BG or BG2.

I thought I would try it on a new playthrough but installing my game with all the mods is quite an undertaking, so I don't want to install it and find out it screws up my game and I have to start over. Thanks, CT
Post edited by CharlestonianTemplar on

Comments

• CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited September 2020
    Does anyone know if FP&PS works with BGEE? It appears from the description to be BG2/SoA-Tob and Tutu focused. It doesn't say anything about EE either for BG or BG2.

I thought I would try it on a new playthrough but installing my game with all the mods is quite an undertaking, so I don't want to install it and find out it screws up my game and I have to start over. Thanks, CT

Not sure if it works with EE's. You can try Scales of Balance or Item Revisions. Both have similar components. In fact, the one in SoB was actually inspired by FPaPS and can by quite extensively customized via ini file.
  • Cahir wrote: »

Not sure if it works with EE's. You can try Scales of Balance or Item Revisions. Both have similar components. In fact, the one in SoB was actually inspired by FPaPS and can by quite extensively customized via ini file.

Thanks @Cahir
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited September 2020

It works, I used it on a BGEE playthrough I completed a month or so ago. I did, however, tweak its numbers a bit to my personal specifications.

My install order for that playthrough was:
    1. BG1 Unfinished Business
    2. BG1NPC
    3. Chatty Imoen
    4. Tweaks Anthology
    5. FP+PS
    6. A personal tweak mod pack, including a mini-SR (about 50 spells), and a weapon style rebalancing (cribbing Subtledoctor's Shield Bash, which gives sword+shield style a LOT of extra oomph as basically 2-weapon style with benefits of more AC)

On the whole, I wasn't real satisified with the armor balancing. Which is very annoying, given the tens of hours I spent considering and tweaking the mod's numbers.

It felt like people got hit more, but also that the damage reduction all the armor was giving wasn't adequate compensation. Additionally, BG1 being BG1 with MASSIVE open areas, it was often annoying having laggard fighters and clerics (Branwen in particular, my long-term Cleric) in plate being outrun by my mages, thieves in leather, and MC in chain.

It's possible BG2 will be better, since it scales bonuses and penalties with armor enchantments, so higher enchantment armor will give more AC, more damage reduction, and be less speed penalizing.
  • Quickblade wrote: »

It works, I used it on a BGEE playthrough I completed a month or so ago. I did, however, tweak its numbers a bit to my personal specifications.

On the whole, I wasn't real satisified with the armor balancing. Which is very annoying, given the tens of hours I spent considering and tweaking the mod's numbers.

It felt like people got hit more, but also that the damage reduction all the armor was giving wasn't adequate compensation. Additionally, BG1 being BG1 with MASSIVE open areas, it was often annoying having laggard fighters and clerics (Branwen in particular, my long-term Cleric) in plate being outrun by my mages, thieves in leather, and MC in chain.

All good points. Thanks. I'm wary about using it anyway even though the concept makes sense and is pretty close to original D&D wrt casting spells and thieving in armor. I think I'll pass on it this install and take a look at it again next time. CT
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,175
    I used to use it but found Scales of Balance’s armour system to have better compatibility with other mods. I do prefer those sorts of damage resistance based systems but be aware that they can change the dynamics of combat a little, making it a little slower.