Skip to content

How do mods work when a patch rolls around?

ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
I'm not traditionally much of a modder, but I've been enjoying playing with the item randomizer lately.

Starting a fresh playthrough, but the 2.6 patch seems like it's getting pretty close. Should I play this one with a clean install if I don't want my game to get derailed when the patch comes out?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Depends on the patch. 2.5 broke a lot of things because it changed the engine. I'd expect 2.6 to break most mods because of the new structure. If you want to try out some mods, I'd avoid updating the game when the patch drops and for mods to become compatible before upgrading.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    You could always set up more than one install, so that you can keep the modded one and continue playing with that if you want after the other is updated with the patch.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    How do I create a separate install? Do I just copy the install folder into a new directory or is there more to it than that?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    If you use a Beamdog or GOG install you can do that, or just download it to 2 different locations and use your own shortcut to start one of those. I don't use Steam, so can't comment reliably on that I'm afraid. The game itself does not require an internet connection, but I'm not sure whether Steam might add such a requirement and try to prevent additional copies from working. I'm sure that even if it does so, there will be a way round that - hopefully someone else can confirm the situation ...
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    You can safely copy the folder from a steam install as well.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Thank you guys. This has been good advice.