Skip to content

cleric spells and thieving skills?

So, trying to come up with a char i would like to play... it will prolly last till the end of bg2 (depending on the future of bg1) but i want him to be able to cast healing spells and buffs... but primarily i want him to be able to be good at detect traps, pickpocket and open locks... so i need suggestions on how to do that...

tried a swashbuckler with dual scimitars... that's kinda cool... but "only" got a roll of 87 total... and no healing spells is a little depressing...

suggestions on class(es), stats? :)

and tyvm in advance ^^

Comments

• IceColdMentholIceColdMenthol Member Posts: 16
    Cleric/thief Multi class problem solved
  • PROdotesPROdotes Member Posts: 5
    yea but how well will it do... will i have the constant feeling that i can't hit anything, rarely see any traps and lockpick 50 times till i open something and never have any good spells... or will it work? :P :)
  • IceColdMentholIceColdMenthol Member Posts: 16
    Well to be honest with you this is my first time playing as a clierc/thief but reading some comments on these forums is what inspired me to try it. Try a search or wait for a wiser man than I to chime in. I do not have specific links sorry.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited November 2012
    Play a dwarf or half-orc swashbuckler or fighter/thief with 19 Constitution (the half-orc is a bit stronger in the early game to the significant bonus of 19 str (+3 hit +7 damage, 500 weight) gives over a mere 18 (+1 hit +2 damage, 150 weight). You can get the con manual immediately out of candlekeep which bumps you up to 20 and grants a natural, but slow regeneration (still more then sufficient to heal your character fully on any transition or rest attempt..or in a pinch, hide in a corner for awhile) thus saving healing potions for those in greater need. (despite the half-orc's 1 dex advantage, the dwarf will always have +5 better thief skills due to superior racial bonus'...half-orcs don't get any at all except what dex gives, while dwarves get +15 traps, +10 Locks, +5 DI, +10 set traps + dex)

Cleric/Thief is actually pretty annoying because they have so many abilities, a lot of core abilities get pushing into the special abilities tab which is annoying to deal with. And if you decide you want to back-stab, only staves and clubs (a crappy choice in BG1, and only mediocre in BG2) will work (though staves do end up being the best BS weapon in BG2).
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    There's the Staff of Striking in BG to backstab with. It's limited use, but will dish out a lot of pain to the worst guys you need to assassinate.