Skip to content

Issues with CD Key and Multiplayer, two copies, two computers

I have purchased a Steam copy and a Beamdog Copy on two different systems (one Mac, one PC). Both systems are in same room running on same WiFi. Both copies work fine and can connect to the PW server we like. Both systems show different CD Keys on the CD.ini and have different player names on the player.ini

However, when we tried to swap accounts so that I would play on the slower system and the other person could play on the bigger rig, the characters on the PW server wouldn't change.

We changed the player names via the in game options and later, tried the player.ini. We tried swapping the CD keys. We tried only having one system running with the other logged out. We tried installing Beamdog client on the other system and Steam on the other system along with changed CD keys and player names etc. No matter what we try, we cannot play our respective characters on the other system, only the one it was created with (even though it is a server vault character only PW).

It also means that if one of us wants to play solo, they have to use the system the character was cerated on. SO, I am restricted to the larger rig and the outré person to the slower one.

Lastly, changing the player name on the systems has an odd effect that the account name changes in the PW, but the available characters are the ones created via that system. so, 'Player A' has a dwarf fighter, 'Player B' a Cleric. But when we change the names via the in game menu or .ini. So i could theoretically run around with my own account name in game but with my companions characters.

Anyone got any advice? Ideally, I'd like to be able to simply log in to the game, use the in game menu to change what player is actually sitting there and have their characters come up.

Comments

• WilliamDracoWilliamDraco Member Posts: 175
    The way characters are handled can be different depending on the PW, as they have options as a server for how they tie characters to accounts - Account name, CD Key, or both.

It sounds from your description of changing the account name that the server is only tying characters to CD Keys, but that something went awry when you were attempting to swap CD keys between your two systems.

This should be as simple as exchanging cdkey files. Maybe just try again and be careful with the process (Such as not having game running while doing the change, and ensuring the correct keys end up in the correct spots)

WIth a little bit of wizardry you could probably make some sort of bat script or similar to do the swap over automatically for you, with two separate short-cuts, I suppose. I wouldn't hold your breath for anything in-game/official for the purpose.
  • GrayhamsterGrayhamster Member Posts: 9
    Thanks. That helped. I've managed to get things working, though it does seem that the Beamdog client seems to overwrite the CDkey. It works if i just use the NWN launch file directly, rather than the client. thanks again.