Skip to content

The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos

DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
Has anyone else played this? This is the first game that Steam recommended to me that's actually good. The game's a goofy take on the fantasy tropes done in the turn based style. All the characters in the party are such tropes that they don't even have names, just things like The Ranger, The Elf and The Dwarf (just a regular Dwarf). The ogres powers are just hilarious, burping a cloud of noxious fumes out that stuns enemies or puking up a head to throw at enemies.

The combat's pretty brutal at times. I get my butt kicked at least as often as in the Divinity:OS games and it requires a lot of strategy. The adventurers are clearly not competent and you'll wind up with a lot of critical failures. There's an interesting mechanic with that though. Whenever you critical fail, a meter fills up a point. You can use stuff from that meter to get an extra action point, heal somebody, teleport the current party member to another spot or heal up to 6 party members.

The interface can be a little wonky outside of combat. It's pretty linear with a decent amount of side quests and doesn't have a lot of choice and consequences. It's rare that there's actually a choice in dialog, but it is all voice acted and the party banter's pretty funny. At one point you will get the choice whether to recruit an additional character into the party and can pick from a Bard, a Priestess or a Paladin.

The game's an homage to pretty much everything in the fantasy genre, from the Hobbit's riddle to a parody of Minsc and Boo named Binsc and Moo whose giant miniaturized space hamster you have to find.
Binsc.jpg

I fought a Dark Elf metal band tonight
DarkElfMetalBand.jpg

The Priestess' quest involves going to an orgy to get her cousin back and stop him from embarrassing the family. You have to buy masks first (they only sell wolf masks) and when you're entering she tells everyone "Be sure to keep your eyes wide shut." There's some dirtier humor in that scene too
PearlNecklaces.jpg

Overall I'm having a pretty good time with it. Not sure how long it is, though.

Comments

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    RPS did a review of it a couple of weeks ago, gave it a 7/10. I didn't realize it was based off an audio drama.
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/10/01/the-dungeon-of-naheulbeuk-review/

I still haven't finished it, but have gotten a bit better idea of what's going on and better handle on the combat, so I'm getting my ass handed to me less. It's a really hammy and fun adventure from a small French studio.
    I did hit a rare point where I think a decision really affected the game, but I'm not sure since there's so little info out there on this game. I've been getting my butt kicked a lot less now that we're leveled up and have good gear. The dialog just keeps entertaining. I love when I solved a riddle the Barbarian said "Crom hates riddles, except for the riddle of steel!" I also found a potion of "Murderhobo" that describes itself as a dungeon master's nightmare.

One of the hilarious things about the game is it's supposed to be an unexplored dungeon, then you get to the second floor and there's a full on tavern and population living there. You keep asking about a dungeon master and everyone's like "Nope, this place is ruled by a co-op run committee." I love the fourth wall breaking stuff where the party actually talks with or insults the narrator or directly references XP. Sometimes they'll actually outright say "I didn't put points into that skill."

Still got a few more chapters left, but have been really enjoying it. It's estimated at around 40 hours, which seems pretty good for $35 game. Overall it's definitely worth it. It's been quite the surprising little gem that came at a time when I'm waiting for other games to come out and is actually quite good.

My one biggest gripe is that you can only detect traps if you've selected the thief and are moving super slow. You can spot trap type spots since they're normally near statues, but because of the janky out of combat UI and camera angles you can't always see them. At least the in combat UI's fine.
    Finished the game today. I had a lot of fun with it and the ending was absurd and fourth wall breaking as the rest of the game.

The game caps out at level 10, which definitely felt like enough so you can have lots of abilities, but keep it challenging. The AI's reasonably smart (at least on normal) and take advantage of the environment an AoE effects. There's plenty of fun crowd control abilities you can use too.

With combat, you have a move action and general action. You can sacrifice your general action for more movement, but not vice versa. I do kind of wish they had let you dump your move action for another general action, but I guess D&D went that route, too. One of the abilities from the fail meter is an extra point, though.
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    edited January 2022
    I got it earlier in December, and I am enjoying it a lot. The funny thing is, out of all of the CRPGs that claim to "bring back the days of Baldur's Gate," For me, this one does a much better job of that than any of the others. I mean, yeah, it's an S-RPG, and the comedic tone and overall approach is going for more "simulated campaign with your group that never takes anything seriously" than a serious narrative adventure, but the well balanced and intricate combat with the recognisable P&P base and the satisfying upgrading of your party's power is what I've been looking for. It's so well done this might be my favourite S-RPG period.